Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are the odds I find him?

IowaChiro

Tonight at around 4:30, I stuck a 2 blade rage in a right shoulder blade, penetrating 6 inches, based on the arrow. The buck limped 20 yards and stood motionless for 20 minutes...finally, slowly limping off....I had to go to parent teacher conferences, or my wife would have shot me, so..I got down, as I did the buck ran for about 15 yards..then slowed a bunch...He was headed towards a creek, with pretty much just pasture around it....What are the odds I find him in the AM? He's at least a 160...even wiht a broken G2..main frame ten, mass out the arse, and heighth....and I'm gonna throw up.....if I'd hit him 3 inches further back..I'm posting pics right now.

If he was actin as hurt as you say he is, he is probably done for. I'd wait til morning and go in with an arrow knocked, because you may have gotten enough penetration for one lung and he could still be alive, but the way you are describing it, he sounds like he is a hurtin unit.

Perfectly broadside..couldn't believe I hit shoulder....didn't look that far forward....and I could see blood running out of him...I should have waited til dark to get down, but hell hath no fury like my wife...well anytime...I'm hoping eve though he spooked..that him slowing down after i spooked him means he's toast.

Based on the arrow? Did you see it in that far? Sometimes penetration and blood on the arrow is misleading... I would have some concerns, but let's hope it is enough to kill him! Good luck!

Based on the arrow? Did you see it in that far? Sometimes penetration and blood on the arrow is misleading... I would have some concerns, but let's hope it is enough to kill him! Good luck!
Based on where the main ring of blood on the arrow is..not counting some of the streaks. I'm nervous..I don't like that he bounded a couple of times when I got down, but adrenaline can do amazing things...otherwise..he was gimpy as hell, and a decent amount of blood where he had stood....can't believe I hit him there...I guess, if you hunt enough..these things happen.

One of my buddies did this exact thing last week. He didn't find it and we expect it lived as he trailed it over 500 yards and it didn't break stride. Rage 2 blade as well. Never did find his arrow though so unsure how much penetration compared to yours.

One of my buddies did this exact thing last week. He didn't find it and we expect it lived as he trailed it over 500 yards and it didn't break stride. Rage 2 blade as well. Never did find his arrow though so unsure how much penetration compared to yours.
Did his stand around bleeding for awhile? I'd almost..no, I'm sure...that'd I'd rather have just flat out missed. Actually, if there is 6 inches of solid blood on the arrow, it probably penetrated 7 inches..cuz that first inch or so isn't gonna leave blood on the arrow....7 inches makes me more confident......you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I don't like his reaction but 6" will be in the cavity. One lung If anything but perhaps he lays down and expires. I worry more about reactions like that forward than back, but ill keep my fingers crossed. I have been there and its no fun.

I think by the way he was acting he is dead..especially if he couldnt run far when you climbed down to avoid that rath of your wife! ;)

Well, one never knows. This past sun I sank an arrow fletching deep in one beautiful 10 pt. I knew it was too far back and nearly straight down. Left him overnight only to find a completely bloody arrow and 30 yards of good blood. Searched 8 hours. Still can't stop thinking about it!

Quick update...there is a guy bowhunting the area where the buck is probably at, plus...when I pulled into the field and got out of my truck..I heard a loud hissing...from my back tire...when it rains it pours....I've texted the other hunter, hoping he finds or sees the buck, or at least looks for me.

Quick update...there is a guy bowhunting the area where the buck is probably at, plus...when I pulled into the field and got out of my truck..I heard a loud hissing...from my back tire...when it rains it pours....I've texted the other hunter, hoping he finds or sees the buck, or at least looks for me.
OK...I rescheduled patients, contacted the landowner and the hunter, went out and looked for 2 hours..nothing..he may have ended up back in the timber I was in...if so, hopefully my uncle or cousin will be decent enough to tell me.

They can be very tough animals. Just be very meticulous following the blood trail before you give up and just start grid searching. A speck of blood here and there can really point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Almost every single deer that I have had troubles finding was by water. I've even had them double back on me so just because a creek is in the opposite direction from where he ran after the shot don't ever rule it out.

Top Bottom