Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are the odds I find him?

Iowachiro: last year I did this exact same thing. I had a 150 inch shooter at 17 yards in Kansas and shot him with a rage expandable. When I hit there was massive POP sounds and the arrow looked to be barely in him as he ran off with it in his shoulder. I could see more than half the arrow not in him and knew I hit forward. I (being stupid) got down from the stand about 25 minutes later and he was standing about 80 yards away and took off running. I trailed him a solid 500 yards and lost sign. 2 months later my dad walked a mostly-dry creek and found what was left of him about 800 yards from where I hit him. One lunging them with a shoulder shot will kill them but it makes it a lot harder to find them when you buger them after the shot! Good luck, and if you have an area with water there is a good chance a wounded buck would head for that area!

Had a very similar experience with rage... found the buck the next April shed hunting. He went to water. I shoot Muzzy now :)

Had a very similar experience with rage... found the buck the next April shed hunting. He went to water. I shoot Muzzy now :)
I stayed out of the timber over the weekend since my relatives own half, hate me, and were hunting it....I'm gonna do a full search Tuesday...I can scour the 40 acre timber and all the ditches in one day...I may bring my Brittany...she tends to roll in every damn dead thing on earth..so she may find it.

Yeah....I'm gonna switch to a fixed blade..pretty sure that a 73 pound pull on a Z7 with axis arrows....should have penetrated better.

I used to shoot the 2-blade rage until I watched a Drury DVD. They had been pedaling Rages, but I kept noticing shot after shot of poor penetration. It's just way to easy to hit a shoulder blade. I hit shoulder on a buck two years ago with a Rage and it penetrated a half inch past the broadhead. I switched to a smaller diameter fixed blade and will never look back.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I live and die by the 2-blade rage, but the one downfall I've found personally along with many of my buddies who have shouldered bucks with them as well, expandables can down right suck if you hit them in that solid spot. That's were a guy is better shooting a fixed blade if he tends to try and sneek his arrow right in behind the shoulder alot. Hope you find him or at least know he is alive doing well, good luck!

I also shoot a rage broad head but a three blade with a mathews z7x I have had no problems with penetration and the wound channel is much greater then that of any fixed blade I have shot. However I do agree that the buck more then likely headed towards water any marginal shot should have been given time depending on the shot this one should have been given at least six hours. You prob. Would of found him within 80 yards of where you shot him. Don't blame the broad head blame the hunter.

I also shoot a rage broad head but a three blade with a mathews z7x I have had no problems with penetration and the wound channel is much greater then that of any fixed blade I have shot. However I do agree that the buck more then likely headed towards water any marginal shot should have been given time depending on the shot this one should have been given at least six hours. You prob. Would of found him within 80 yards of where you shot him. Don't blame the broad head blame the hunter.

I agree 100% with the above post. I have never had a problem with penetration with rage and I also shoot three blades but that's besides the point. I know as a hunter you want to get out and find that buck, but you need to leave him lay on a marginal shot that you have no idea on penetration. A buck with one lung that has gotten bumped for the second time can go forever and with a clotted up wound can make tracking very hard. You have a couple things going for you tonight though. It's supposed to get into the low 20's which may help him expire. Also if you did bump him again and he's moving with that arrow still in him he's just tearing up more of his insides. If you got 6" you should be able to recover this deer in the am. Stay off the main trails and look in the thickest cover you can find if your not on blood. He will try to hide in thick cover or find water if it's close. Good Luck on your search! Keep us posted!

I live and die by the 2-blade rage, but the one downfall I've found personally along with many of my buddies who have shouldered bucks with them as well, expandables can down right suck if you hit them in that solid spot. That's were a guy is better shooting a fixed blade if he tends to try and sneek his arrow right in behind the shoulder alot. Hope you find him or at least know he is alive doing well, good luck!

:D This may be the best arguement against a expandable I have ever read!!!!!! Who can predict everytime they will hit them in thee.....Non-Solid spot!!!!!!?????????:way:

I have shot 2 blade rages for the last two years, and have had no penetration problems. I shot NAP Thunderheads for 20 years, hit 2 bucks and 2 does in the shoulder, and all of them lived. It's all about where you hit them, no matter what head you're shooting.

Top Bottom