Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What clover brand to plant?

M

mikedeer

I am planning on planting a clover food plot around august/september for this fall. Is that a good time to do it and also what are teh good brands that are not too expensive? Also what weed killer could I use or would I even need one then?
Thanks

Ok your LATE!! Get your Round Up Sprayed NOW!!! Or use any other Generic round up, Buy 2.5 Gallons of concentrate for roughly $50. Spray, turn dirt, disc. let weeds come up, spray again!! P.m. me and i will send some photo's of mine. Clover is $ 4 a pound (white) no fancy names . you might want to concentrate on a fall plot of OATS!!

Matt- If you don't have alot of prep work done, you might want to concentrate on getting things ready for a fall plot of brassicas or rye. You can seed then or wait to frost seed clover in February or March. I have had great luck with ladino and/or jumbo ladino from Welter seed up your way. I usually mix a little red clover in as it does better than white in dry conditions.

[ QUOTE ]
Matt- If you don't have alot of prep work done, you might want to concentrate on getting things ready for a fall plot of brassicas or rye. You can seed then or wait to frost seed clover in February or March. I have had great luck with ladino and/or jumbo ladino from Welter seed up your way. I usually mix a little red clover in as it does better than white in dry conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like pharmers combo as well, no need to pay for brand -X-, Welter is a great source for seed!
I wouldn't get your shorts in a bunch though...you have plenty of time to do a clear seeding in August if you prefer. Allow a week to get a good kill with Roundup...I have good results with one quart per acre, but if it's dry in your area it may be a tougher kill.
Work it down good and seed ahead of a rain in August (if it ever does rain
smirk.gif
)
If you decide to go with the brassica/frost seeding option...consider planting the forage type of brassicas. The "root" type the deer will root up like hogs and it can leave a very rough surface when you go to mow or spray your clover in the future.

Top Bottom