Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What could have happened?

bowhunter16

I shot a decent size 8 point just below the spine and right above the lungs last night. I waited 2 hours before I started to track it and eventually found some blood about 50 yards away from where I shot him. We tracked him with a very week blood trail for about 1 and a half miles, and then the blood stopped. He had almost completed a very large circle from where i first shot him at, but we never did find him.
Do you think he is dead somewhere or is he still out there wanderin around? Also, Is there really an area above the lungs and below the spine that if you shoot a deer there, they wont die?

There has be a debate about a "void area" before. I know I shot a 10 point like that four years ago and waited four hours to track him and never found him. Saw him two days later chasing does and he was eventually taken during shotgun season. They are strong animals and if you just hit one lung there is a chance it would take quite awhile for him to die.

In my second season of bowhunting in 96 I hit a buck "high" but below the spine. Arrow stuck out of both sides as he ran off. Eventually the underbrush dislodged the arrow and upon inspection it had some bloody "meaty" type muscle matter on it and did not produce a droppy type of blood trail.

Two weeks later I saw the same buck come through the area out of bow range but easily identifiable through binoculars and he was not missing a beat trailing a doe. I am not biologist or vet, but if there is a void area, I hit it that season.

same thing happened to my brother 3 yrs ago on a and he never found it, and it happened to me a week ago thurs. with a doe, I tracked small drops of blood for 5 hours before I lost blood going into a field I never found her either.

I hit a Texas buck in the same spot, and the deer was harvested 3 weeks later by a 9 year old boy. They sent me pictures of the healed up wound. I wouldn't have believed it , if it didn't happen to me........

I shot a doe a couple years ago like that... just below the spine but directly over both lungs. The arros stuck in her and took out both lungs and I mean it was a high shot. I think theoretically the lungs should extend high but like anything it depends on the anatomy of the individual deer. Deer can live on 1 lung.

<span style="color: #FF0000">THERE IS NO VOID ABOVE THE LUNGS AND BELOW THE SPINE...</span>

If you really want to further your knowledge on this then, I would suggest reading this entire thread from last year.....

So, based on the scientific information above we can conclude that an arrow can only do one of the following:

1. Hit above the spine.

2. Hit below the spine and hit lung. Does not necessarily = dead deer.

"Void" is not a possibility.

Click on the link I have provided.

After The Shot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

2. Hit below the spine and hit lung. Does not necessarily = dead deer.
</div></div>

On the last day of the 1983 first shotgun season, I put a 12 gauge slug clear through a decent 9 point (30 yard "high hit" shot-below spine, high lung). This was at 11:00 am. It had snowed overnight, so I had good fresh tracking snow. I trailed him all day for a finishing shot right before season ended. I think he would have survived had I not been persistent. I wish I had a pic of the inside of the rib cage. Here is the distance he traveled.
1983.jpg

I hit a buck in no mans land several years ago,
and correct me if im wrong here Kent, (which is entirely possible) but behind the liver, above the guts, and below the spine. i always thought there was a VOID in that area, but i may be wrong,
any how,
i saw the buck two weeks later chasing does with my arrow still in him!!!

and then saw him in late Jan without the arrow, still hadnt shed yet, and looked no worse for the wear.....

tough creatures

White area Thomas? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Where do you guys think the spine is according to number? This is always fun.

20157Wheresthespine2.jpg

First instinct without doing some research... dot 3. dot 2 and dot 1 would be the "fins" up off the spine.

With fear of looking like an idiot.(if your a PMA member, you know it is not that much of a fear anymore) I will take my chance here!
I normally would have guessed right about between 3 and 4, but now I am so confused, I may just give up hunting!! Well that isn't true, but I will cast my vote!

between 3 and 4!

Go easy on me if I am off Kent! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was trying a spine shot, I'd be aiming for dot 4. </div></div>
[Thumbs Up]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First instinct without doing some research... dot 3. dot 2 and dot 1 would be the "fins" up off the spine. </div></div>

agree 100%

Top Bottom