Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you shoot?

I tried loose 777 when I was using the pellets but just didn't like messing with the loose powder. Switched to Black horn when it came out because i was tired of the crud ring and only being able to shoot a few times before cleaning the gun due to accuracy issues. These are the 1st issues I've heard of using BH with the right breach plug and a hot primer. Some of the guys shooting CVA's with the new plug have said the fire hole will get fouled and they need to clean it with a small drill bit using your fingers, but I've shot up to 18 times in a row with my TC Encore and never had an issue. Last shot still loaded pretty easy and no accuracy issues was the big advantage I saw. I hunted with a friend who still shoots 777, he takes a shot, gets a couple wet patches out, swabs the barrel followed by a couple dry patches and reloads. I've already reloaded while he's getting his wet patches out. I watched him go through that process a couple years ago during late ML season, low light, around 5 degrees with some wind, didn't look easy or fun and I said you should try BH and he told me the pellets were way easier to use!

I fired my first ML not to long ago. Between bullet brands, bullet weights, type of propellant, propellant weight/volume, primers, hot/cold barrel, CLEAN/fouled/flat out dirty barrel and everything else I'm missing, there's no rubber stamp. Challenging but addictive. Can't wait to have touching groups and take her out.

Finally got around to trying the Blackhorn, took a few shots but I finally made it in the bullseye with the last two touching even. Had to stop part way through to let some s-gunners know about a few of the rules in place which pushed my bp up so I cut the target session short. Not sure I’ve had two shots touch before. Happy but I’ll try again before LM. I wasn’t totally all over as a couple of the round target patches covering previous practice shots fell off. Just measured 90g volume, would weighing it help?
ab0b3345d8cd2f8740ea1560f54383f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I weigh mine. Around 90g of volume weighs 61g . But it would be useless to argue that you need to weigh yours with that accuracy. What primer are you using?

I had the shot tonight and well we had a delayed ignition. 209 was loaded Tuesday and left in the rifle. Cleaned the dang thing and there appeared to be excessive oil in it, around the breach plug. I’m thinking I didn’t swab the barrel with a dry patch after spraying aerosol lubricant down it the previous cleaning. My question then, is it ok to leave the 209 loaded between hunts? Yes I did dry patch it tonight after going back to TC Bore Butter.

I had the shot tonight and well we had a delayed ignition. 209 was loaded Tuesday and left in the rifle. Cleaned the dang thing and there appeared to be excessive oil in it, around the breach plug. I’m thinking I didn’t swab the barrel with a dry patch after spraying aerosol lubricant down it the previous cleaning. My question then, is it ok to leave the 209 loaded between hunts? Yes I did dry patch it tonight after going back to TC Bore Butter.
I leave mine loaded all season. Just don't take it outside to inside, outside to inside (cold to hot) or it'll build up condensation and rust or get your powder wet. I use very minimal oil in the barrel if any at all. Be sure to shoot at least one primer through the breech plug before loading to make sure it is clear.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Obviously late for your initial question but I also shoot a Triumph. I load 110 grains of BH209 behind a barnes t-ez with CCI 209 primers.

One thing I always do is snap a primer on an empty gun before I load it to clean out the breech. I leave it loaded but will keep it in the garage to keep condensation from forming in a warm house.

That target looks so much like what our targets used to look like it makes me frustrated just looking at at lol. That was back in the pyrodex days. I completely understand the thought of wanting to use pellets, they're easy, I get it. But do yourself a huge favor and switched to blackhorn 209. The time you save on cleaning wont even compare to the extra few seconds it takes to measure loose powder. Heck, last year I shot my gun at the beginning of late muzzy season, didn't clean it for a few weeks and had zero corrosion and it cleans ridiculously easy in comparison to pyrodex or triple 7. That would be by far my number one suggestion for your issue.

My Knight LK-93 shot like that until I switched to 300 grain bullets. I tried 240, 260, 200, but my gun just likes the 300's better.

I also shoot Triple 7 pellets. Never really had issues recovering deer shot with the Hornady XTP, but never had great blood trails either. This post has me thinking about the Barnes 290's.

I was fortunate enough to put it together tonight. Never hunted in -15 degrees. Snapped a primer before heading out. 60yds, quartering to me and put it on the left shoulder- 25yrd run. The gun obviously behaved. I really appreciate all the advice.

I was fortunate enough to put it together tonight. Never hunted in -15 degrees. Snapped a primer before heading out. 60yds, quartering to me and put it on the left shoulder- 25yrd run. The gun obviously behaved. I really appreciate all the advice.

Forgot the pic...
07e8e654abf87310d9dc0e5d5d10e42b.jpg
3b8ad0e2b04d81e546c6c65a902e14a1.jpg

Fastest gut job ever! Amazingly I didn’t even hit any guts or bladder. Left my base layer gloves on to do it, fingers froze to the tailgate when I jumped in to pull it in. Funny how nobody’s available to help when it that cold.

Awesome! Congrats on getting it done! Cold weather can be brutal, but it can produce some great hunts!

Now that's dedication. Congrats - well done!

Well done! Now the fun part of gutting one in -15. Congrats!
Way to stick it out! The thought of having to field dress a deer in these temps saved a does life tonight! Had her in the cross hairs,and my cheek froze to the stock! Sudden flash backs of" A Christmas Story", flag pole scene and I took my finger off the trigger.

Top Bottom