Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you think?

bigbuck11

I'm looking to get a handgun i dnt own one yet what do you guys think is a good first handgun? .40,.45, 9mm? Let me know

What are you wanting to do with it? Just plink then 9mm. Carry then a sub compact in 40. Hunt with go with 44 mag revolver.

i realy dnt want a revolver just to shoot around maybe use durin late season muzzy, what do they have up at bass pro?

I have a .41 raging bull revolver for sale, with about 5 boxes of ammo, scope mounted on the gun and holster. Bad problem with this gun is, ammo is hard to find for it. I have found many websites that sell it though, just hard to find it locally. My advice is, if your just going to be packing the hand gun, go for a .40 or 9 mm. Both are very easy to find ammo for, and most models are lightweight and compact, which make them easy for packing around. Neither gun are that great at any type of distances though. A 44 mag is a great round, with good distant and easy to come by for ammo. Kinda wish I would have went that route instead of the.41.

Is it legal to use a 40 in IA for big game? In MN you cant use a 40 becuase of case length.

Plinking-9mm
Carry-40
Carry/Hunting-45

A buddy of mine is goofy over guns, he has 6 centerfire pistols. Depending where he is going depends on the gun he carrys. He carrys a M&P 40 when he is worried about concealing it, and his XD 45 when he is not.

You NEED that .500 S&W for sure! :)
I like my .40 s&w, it's a springfield BUT I would NEVER consider hunting with it.

Me and a few of my friends have shot deer with my Springfield Armory XD .40 BUT if I was wanting a handgun strictly for hunting then I would go with a .44 or .45 long colt, or if you want something that will knock'em naked maybe the .500 S&W or a .460 or .480 type revolver. I had a .454 casul but it was worthless unless you put a scope on it the front blade of the sight would cover a whole deer at 25yds.

Last edited:
picture.php

If you get a .454, I'm pretty sure you can still shoot .45 long colts through it, so, you would have a great gun for big game hunting and can still shoot it relatively inexpensively for fun.. I haven't shot one though, but, you may want to heed to 'rutnstrut's warning about the sight covering a deer.... I would recommend a scope anyway, because I found bigger handguns are hard to be real accurate anyway.. I've shot a .500 S&W... It's a big kicker, but, sure was fun turning cinder blocks to dust with.

I use a .44 mag Colt Anaconda six inch barrel for deer hunting. Great sights, and good shooter. A shoulder holster is a must for the big frame guns.

I believe to hunt deer with a handgun in Iowa your projectile must be 357mag or larger. This includes revolvers and semi auto. Only straight wall cartridges with hollow point projectiles can be used. No tapered brass rounds (like the one Larry Weishunn shoots on tv) are allowed.
There is a section in the Iowa rules and regs pamphlet that covers allowable rounds.
I borrowed a Ruger Blackhawk last year and shot a 454 casull out of it. WOW!!!!!!!!! Shot 2 deer with it, the first being 10 yards away and it painted the snow behind her red for 10 more yards!!:D YIKES! Sweet gun, but pretty big to carry and expensive to shoot.
I carry a Springfield XDm 9mm. Nice pistol, good value.:rolleyes:

I carry an xd-m .40 in a chest holster during deer season as a second weapon but I'm not necessarily out there to shoot a deer with it, unless they decided to give me a very close shot, like 10-15 yards and in, and it would be easier to get the pistol on target than a long gun. It works well to put a second shot in a deer, say if you spine shoot one and its still kicking around, it does a much cleaner job than a near point blank second shot from a shotgun or muzzleloader. I had a doe a couple years ago that got hit a little far back, and after tracking and bumping her out of a brush pile, the .40 cal put her down at about 35 yards, clean pass through, dropped in her tracks. The round is stout enough, but it takes a LOT of shooting to get good enough with an auto to use it as more than a backup.

Top Bottom