Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what is the pope and young record for your county

According to the Iowa Record Bucks the biggests for Story Co are:
Bow Non-typical: 201 7/8
Bow Typical: 168 7/8

But I know bigger have been killed

And Crawford Co:
Bow Non-Typical:184 1/8
Bow Typical: 164 1/8

Last edited:

And Crawford Co:

Good point. I wonder what the percentage of deer that get shot are actually put in the book? If I had to guess I would say less than 20%?
"The book" is a link at the bottom of this page. http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/DeerHunting/IowasRecordBucks.aspx

Interesting read through the books clearly even some in the pope books aren't here but still this could be my claim to fame hahaha its a lot more obtainable. I know of way more deer not ever officially scored than have been.
Some may say its not worth but to me heck yeah at least 1 the deer I killed with my bow this year is bigger than most killed in the county this year with gun or bow even after his horrendous deductions

And Crawford Co:

PS thank you! Ironically both typical and non typical are held by the same person

How do you look by county, can it be done online? I went to the website, but couldn't figure it out in limited time I had yesterday.

There are currently no archery entries whatsoever for Grundy County. As is noted by some, I have one on my wall that qualifies, I have just never had it submitted. IT was never about the books for me.

I've never entered anything I've ever shot. The vast majority would make book, but I see no point in entering any of them.........

Madison
Non-Typical: 230 2/8" (interesting note: there are 8 listed over 200")
Typical: 177 7/8"

I saw that as well. many more NT bucks at the top in Madison County. Then if you go to Marion county there are many more typical at the top and 177 7/8 barley stays on the first page. As stated earlier small percentage of harvest trophies are on that list.

There are currently no archery entries whatsoever for Grundy County. As is noted by some, I have one on my wall that qualifies, I have just never had it submitted. IT was never about the books for me.

I agree with you.

Maybe the 20% guess is too high. Maybe 5-10 % get entered.

Anybody look at the shotgun typical? World record.

I don't think that all that have been recorded are listed. A family mbr shot the #2 typical for 1986 and it's not on the list anymore. At least that I can find it.

I have a couple deer on that list. I didn't have any idea I was on there until a friend of a friend asked about it a few years back. I had taken both bucks to the Classic and after entering them in that event they were both registered on this list. I would suspect that's how most of the deer end up there. I know for a fact that people have shot bigger deer than mine in the county registered.

In hindsight I wish I'd never taken those bucks to the show. I hate thinking that a thief might find my name and decide he could come steal several hundred inches of bone off the wall in one quick stop.

Whatever the records are, they aren't an indication of the big stuff that has been killed in that county. I would take bets that there is a current world record in someones basement or mancave right now. I know of a handful of guys that have 200+ inch deer that only their close friends know about. They don't want the publicity and guys trying to move in on their ground in exchange for having their name in a book.

This isn't even half of the bucks I've harvested. Zero in the book. Partial man cave picture...

Top Bottom