Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is your minimum size of deer you will shoot

SWIOWAMONSTERS

BIGGEST BUCKS DOWN IN IA!
Iv got alot of 135-145 in bucks running around ill always get a single 155-160.in buck and hold out for one that size and end up eating tag soup what do you guys take as a minimum size deer

I hunt from the ground. All spot and stalk and as a result, I am not as choosy. If its not a spike or a little fork horn, I'm stickin him.

I have a personal goal of about 150"+.. itll all come down to what I have on trail camera... im going to ultimately try and use age structure as my final decision. Ive shot plenty of younger deer and I try to up my standards a little every year.. it brings a new enjoyable twist to the plot. If I eat tag soup, oh well. Its not always about killing something.

minimum rule here is a 4 1/2 in the 150class-150class 10pts can and may get a free pass if they make it through our dreaded gun season's

5 year olds and older on my land. Others can make their own choices of course. I "wish or hope" biology & biological reasoning is ONE COMPONENT of why folks shoot what they do but all folks can do is state the reasoning why it should be & then simply make their own choices or manage their land with biological reasoning being part of the management if he/she chooses.

Our ground, it needs to be mature or sick/injured. Passed up on 3 small bucks tonight in hope for the bigger deer on my camera.

Other peoples ground during shotgun season, whatever walks in front of me..

I have a personal goal of about 150"+.. itll all come down to what I have on trail camera... im going to ultimately try and use age structure as my final decision. Ive shot plenty of younger deer and I try to up my standards a little every year.. it brings a new enjoyable twist to the plot. If I eat tag soup, oh well. Its not always about killing something.

I feel the same way. I'm usually picky with the bow. When late muzzy rolls around I tend to hunt for any mature buck. It really depends on my cameras and what I'm seeing.

I'd like to say I'm getting pickier and hold out for a mature deer but I usually get so scatter brained when a nice buck roles in that I lose my common sense and field judging abilities. Haha! That sounds worse than it actually is but I'm getting better at holding out.

I am a bad hunter. I have pasted on old mature bucks because they wouldn't score well. If it doesn't impress me at first site it will get the pass. You only get one tag so you want to make sure its a buck you really want to harvest.

I don't have a minimum really but my maximum is a 215 net typical and a 310 nontypical. Anything bigger is just getting greedy. :)

Yea, I sure would hate to drag out all that extra antler weight! Really though. I'm after a 4.5+ and I would hope that he at least makes 140-150 at that age. But if I know there are bigger deer in the area I usually hold out for them and let the others walk.

Simply a deer that has wow factor of some kind.
I can say that a 300 plus body usually does it and the rack is almost always good too

We try to stick to 5 yr olds. I'm super picky with my bow tag. Once late muzzeloader rolls around anything that is 5+ is dead.
I passed a 6 yr old on oct 5 th last year and that won't happen again, he's still around and maybe put on 10".
We have been trying to get the age structure where it needs to be and taking the right ammount of does.
We do have a four year old this year that I hope I never see, I don't think I can pass him...

I have no minimum size in mind when it comes to whitetail hunting anymore.

I just plain like to hunt whitetails! ;)

However, the closer to the truck the deer is the better the chance I will be skinning it out. :way:

I plan on shooting a 120+ buck for my first deer then add five inches every time I shoot a deer. I don't really care of I get a deer or not ,just love being out in the treestand.

My goal is always to go out and shoot something mature.

If a 3 1/2 year old giant comes in, and that's what trips my trigger, I'll shoot him.

I always just go for what gets my blood going. Smaller bucks really don't anymore, but I do enjoy watching them act like kids in a mall ball pit chasing doe's. A mature deer all fuzzed up ready to battle, regaurdless of score, will get my heart pumping every time.

Iv got alot of 135-145 in bucks running around ill always get a single 155-160.in buck and hold out for one that size and end up eating tag soup what do you guys take as a minimum size deer

I think it evolves with time for me. I always say I'm going to only shoot a deer bigger than what I already have on the wall, which means I need to be shooting a booner. Well, that's easier said than done, and ends up with me passing deer in the 150's and 160's, only to regret it later. Last year was going to be a known struggle going in, so I shot the first 6 year old I saw. This year, knowing what's roaming where I hunt...I'm back to holding out for Booners...and inevitably some 160 inch deer will spend an hour under my tree opening night:drink1:

Top Bottom