Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What the heck?

gonorse

Today was by far the coolest morning turkey hunt I've had so far. I set up under a huge oak and not ten minutes later I hear some drumming behind me, and pretty close too. It's still pretty dark out and I'm all set up ready to go holding my gun in the ready position and a little bird lands on the barrel of my gun. About five minutes later, after listening to more drumming, I hear a rustling next to the tree and I look over into the eyes of a raccoon two feet away from me. After some hushed expletives, he finally got out of there. A few minutes after that the biggest gobble I've ever heard echoes out twenty yards or so behind me. 15 minutes later, after several gobbles, he finally flies out about thirty yards to my left but I didn't have a shot. The next thing I know in walks a jake next to the huge tom that has flown out and they start strutting and gobbling just out of range from me and ignore any calling. All of the sudden 150 yds away or so comes gobbling....not double or triple gobbling. This was at least a dozen gobbles in a row mixed with drumming after each gobble. He must have done the multiple gobbling a half dozen times and the tom and jake in front of me ran off. Now what the heck was with the multiple gobbling? I've never heard anything like it. Maybe a mentally challenged turkey or the meanest son of a gun out there?

never heard of such a thing. maybe it was a mentally challenged bird :::: who knows

Did you happen to see this bird or even get a shot, if not you may have also just had an absolute mentally challenged turkey hunter. Of course I dont know your situation for ground and all of that but who knows.

Numba1

I'm hunting the bluff country in northeast IA. I did see the bird and he was down in the valley by himself strutting away, until he spotted me and took off. This morning there was another noisy one and I stopped counting after 100 gobbles. Didn't get him to come in, but maybe tomorrow. Sounds like a warm-front moving in which will be a welcome change.

Went out this morning to try my luck. I went 2nd season and compared to this morning it was much better. Once the birds hit they ground they were quiet absolutely nothing. I don't know if this weather has anything to do with it but it was definitely quiet this morning.

Top Bottom