Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to do????

buckshotxx

I live in NW Iowa and have a chance to relocate with a job to Monmouth Illinois. Do i give up my iowa residence and move to illinois or stay on the iowa side of the river around Burlington? What would you do?:confused:

If I were you I woudl stay on the IA side. Anytime that you want to go to IL to hunt you can draw a tag as they never run out anymore (except for maybe 1 or 2 counties). You should have no problems coming over to the IL side of the river there and hunting Knox, Warren, McDonough. The cost is cheaper to come and hunt IL out of state also. The drive from Burlington to Monmouth isn't to bad, it was part of my jaunt over to our farm from Iowa City to Galesburg area. You should be able to do it in under 40 minutes.

Kratz

Stay on the Iowa Side :) The day to day drive might suck but once your sitting in a tree in November you will be glad you do it :)

Is it a promotion, lateral move, is staying in NW Iowa an option? Not that it really matters to me, but isn't the area you live in growing, with pretty good job opportunities?

Yes definitely stay in Iowa. Generally the hunting is better, you can still fish either side if the Mississippi, and it is much easier to buy firearms in Iowa and don't have to register as in Ill. Sales tax and income tax is also less here. Only good thing is over there they do have a dove season but you can still get a NR license for that. :way:

Don't get me wrong there are all kinds of jobs over here if you can make it on $8-10hr. I however have 4 kids and cannot do that. The position would be a promotion within the company.

If you are referring to me. I hit (?) instead of (!)...what I meant is that I hear you, referring to the $8-10 an hour jobs and not being enough income for a family. Quite a few young families have moved from my small town area to the Twin Cities. They don't want to live in the concrete jungle, but they have no choice due to our slow economy and lack of jobs in our area....sad.

im in north wisconsin and if i could make the same money and live in Iowa i would be gone in a flash.....but everyones got different situations so go with whats best for you and your family...but remember you could regret it come november and your waiting to draw a tag to hunt your favorite state...

I would suggest you move to Ill. if it would be a long drive to work living in Iowa.You would save enough money in gas to buy a non-resident tag every few months probably.Plus if you didn't draw a tag you could just buy an antlerless tag and party hunt like all the others do_Or maybe just ask your wife what she would like to do.Maybe that would be best for your family.Good luck anyway.

Well got word yesterday from work and the wife and i are off to Burlington this weekend to check housing and schools and visit the plant in Monmouth Il. The wife is really excited.

Well it turned out i didn't get to stay in Iowa but took a positon in Milan MO and live in Kirksville MO just 30 minutes south of the Iowa border on 63. Does anyone have any idea how the public hunting is in this area? Seems like all the land around here is all leased up.

Put in for some of Missouri's managed hunts on public ground...Swan lake comes to mind. Not sure on regular ground to hunt unless you want to travel to Columbia area.

Top Bottom