Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what to do?

I shot a buck this evening, he mule kicked high and took off, i didnt have alot of time to look for blood before dark and its hard to see in been stubble anyhow, so I backed out and am debating on what to do..... But a mule kick usually indicates a fatal shot correct?

Never a bad idea to back out...few hours never hurts! Hope to see done harvest photos!!! Best of luck

I can't recall a deer doing a mule kick after a shot and not being well hit and I can recall many times where they mule kicked and they were well hit. I suppose anything is possible, but I like your odds! :grin:

I don't think it's a bad idea to give any deer you do not actually see fall down and die some time before taking up the trail. No matter where you think you hit it. I would say how long to wait depends on the weather and your local yote population.

I have livered two deer in my life and both mule kicked.. It was weird. Usually a Mule kick is a done deal!

Hope you didn't get rain like we did here! Grid search if needed with some buddies & make sure to check the random spots with logs, ditches, thickets and water of course. Did you find him?

Good luck

I shot a buck this evening, he mule kicked high and took off, i didnt have alot of time to look for blood before dark and its hard to see in been stubble anyhow, so I backed out and am debating on what to do..... But a mule kick usually indicates a fatal shot correct?

9 out of 10 times it means a fatal shot! Good luck! Let us know..

I would agree that a mule kick would mean a good hit. However, the only deer I've ever seen kick was not recovered and as far as I could tell was not even hit. I'm thinking my bullet just grazed him. Shot, he kicked and ran about 300-400 yards out in the open, then stood for a couple of minutes looking around before jumping a fence and disappearing in some thick stuff. Never found any blood or deer. I thought for sure I had him.

Top Bottom