Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to do?

Buckhunter

Ok guys we have been sitting on fields and we are finally starting to see some does moving again but my question is, should we be in the timber if we expect to shoot a buck? We have not seen a single buck since December 18th and there is really no pressure on the farm we hunt. Really baffled by the lack of buck sightings but I know for sure they are there because we have trailcam pics of at least 5 great bucks. I'm about to give up hope on finding a buck and start focusing on filling the freezer. Any ideas?

I have limited late season experience but I threw caution to the wind this past Sat. afternoon and entered a bedding area with the soft quiet snow cover. Lucky or whatever, but I shot one of my target bucks at 25 yards with the ML in the middle of a timber bedding area.

Sure can't hurt to try if your not seeing bucks that you are confident are there. If you have softer snow cover and can avoid sounding like a bulldozer getting in, maybe give it a try.

Seems to be changing gradually as time goes on, but deer around here that have been pressured hard through the gun season are VERY nocturnal...showing up in foodplots in the last 5-10 minutes of shooting light and returning to bedding grounds before you even park the truck. I suppose it all depends on how much pressure your area got....and the moon phase :D

NWBuck

Went out earlier than normal for an evening sit and 5 bucks (2 at 150+-, 2 at 130+-, and one basket) already out feeding on beans middle of the section at 1:00. This has happened 2x so far. Different issues here I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Bucks are more than likely hangin in deep timber around thickets.. they hit the fields after dark. Your best bet will be to hunt the edge of the thicket and hardwoods and catch them coming out right before dark.

Top Bottom