Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to plant?

Shovelbuck

After an uneventful hunting season this year I've decided to plant a food plot. There are plenty of other foods for deer to eat in my area but I'd like to give them some desert, so to speak.
I really don't have a clue what to plant, so that's where you guys come in.
I've thought about turnips but wonder if all the other crops will keep the attention of the deer. A neighbor planted clover and they do seem to be hitting it pretty good, so thats an option also.
Whatever gets planted, I have the equipment for it, so that's not a problem.
I've shown on this photo the area I hunt with the red dot being where I would put the food plot. Deer come into this corner quite a bit allready, I need something to bring in more and keep them there.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what to plant and when. Thanks, Jay

552Area_53.jpg

I would try clover and brassica's (forage turnips, rape, etc.) for early to mid fall and rye and turnips for late fall early winter. Austrian Peas are another possible. If you have enough room to plant several plots and observe the activity you'll be able tell better what will work best for you.
Or...I could set there next fall and "observe"
grin.gif
grin.gif

I see you have irrigation pivots, so thought I'd do a google search for "drought resistant deer food". You might try that yourself. In the results were Tecomate lablab peas, which look to be great green, but not much for late season. There were a couple of grass/clover/alfalfa mixes that I might lean towards. This mix would be insurance against dry weather. Turnips, corns or other mono-cultures might be a wash if the weather doesn't cooperate. Also, a grass mix will be a multi year plot where turnip/corn plots will be annual.

Both turnips and clover are a great and obvious choice.
To find that 'dessert' that you are looking for...I'd consider apple and-or persimmons trees.
Something different than your existing surroundings can become a 'magnet'.

With all that food around and an alfalfa field that they probably use all winter... if you have many deer at all in the area you are going to need a decent size desert plot or something that produces tons of forage or it will be history before long. Clover may be an option, red does better than white in dry conditions. Rye would work ok for fall planting, if you can catch a rain around Labor day. Problem would be not wanting to establish an annual after a clover. I read something once about a dryland clover- arrowleaf or alsike, I just don't remember but maybe someone else will know. One of those wasn't a true clover and is planted like an annual. I have a feeling that anything you have around once the other crops are out is going to get pounded so it may attract them but they will deplete the plot quickly. The real positive you have is the alfalfa in front of you. Good Luck Jay!

jay,
I am going with a mix of tecomate lab lab plus for my spring summer food..then mowing it and planting a monster mix in that same plot.I will throw in some turnips for an extra pop!

this will give the deer a great source of protien and ph/cal during the rack growing period.in my 5 acre standing corn plot..to be left up..I am drilling in buck beans after the corn is put in.It will go in the same row.This will be left standing all winter long.that way the deer will have a variety to choose from and I will see what they like best.
thanks, doug

Thanks for the tips folks. After reading the responses, I remembered that there is a good stand of red clover there also. Not a lot, but I've seen deer on it in the summer.

When do I need to plant turnips?
552zone_53-med.jpg

Top Bottom