Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would you do?

OneCam

My buddy just called. He put a bad shot on the buck he has been hunting all year at 8:05 this morning. The deer was quartering to him a very slightly and he hit him mid-body between the last rib and the hind legs. He was using a 3 bladed spit fire and the shot was 20yds. The arrow did not pass through but he mentioned the he got very good penetration, 3/4+ of the arrow. The buck ran maybe 25 yards, stopped hung his head and walked very slowly off. It could have even bedded where he last saw him. Typical gut shot reaction. He was not sure if the shot angle was strong enough to hit the back ham. The deer is a very mature large bodied 160' plus.

My question is should we wait 6 hours? 8 hours? Overnight? What would you do? Also it is supposed to rain this afternoon . . . what luck.

Thanks and good hunting

Chris

What is the bloodtrail like? I would give him at least 4 hours before tracking. Good Luck!

Having just gone this 4 days ago with almost the same shot except it passed clear thru, you must wait till morning or you will push him and then you won't find him. I know it's hard to do but WAIT.

Thanks for your responses. We've decided to wait till Saturday Morning just to be safe. I'll post pictures when we find him.

Thanks again,

wait, at least til before it rains, get lots of trackin help, maybe a good lab , dont let that rain ruin your chances of trackin and finding that trophy, if he is gut shot, he will get cotton mouth and head for water of some kind,he will bed up in the thickest cover close to water he can find, dont forget that lantern for trackin, the dog will smell the gut stench before you do ,and hopefully lead you to him .....good luck , and keep us posted.......hang tough.

Yes!!! We found him a little after 11am. He was about 400 yrds from the hit. I will post pictures later.

Sounds like yo did the right thing onecam. Lets see the pics. Do you know anyone else who has recently hit a nice buck.

Here he is . . .

uploadedShane.jpg

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 11-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by OneCam (edited 11-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by OneCam (edited 11-27-2001).]

Freaking Kick ASS! That buck is awesome!

Definatly a story to remember.

Top Bottom