Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would you pick?

tlambert

PMA Member
Alright guys and gals, this one is waaaay off topic:D But I need to get my mind off hunting for a day and I'm in need of a new chainsaw so here's my question.

What kind of saw do you prefer? I'm looking for something in the 16"-18" bar range. I'd love to go with a Stihl or a Husky, but costs my push me towards a Poulan for now.
What are your thoughts? It'll be used mainly just for firewood.
Thanks

I don't have any experience with other brands, so all I can tell ya is Stihl. We run them on all of our Engine Companies at work.
As solid and dependible as I've found them, I think a guy would be money ahead in the long run with a Stihl. Maybe a lifetime purchase if you take care of it. I have a newer model 16" Stihl that I use for firewood, at times I wish I had an 18.

Last edited:
Have a friend who is a chainsaw artist and uses chainsaws routinely. He is a Stihl man.

I cut firewood with my poulan. Bought at an auction for $50.00 five years ago, 16 inch bar. Starts and runs great, only thing I have had to do to it is change the bar once. I am about to change it again and go to a 18 inch bar. Plenty of power left with the 16. I have looked at new ones and I would say save the extra cash and buy the poulan. Mine runs as well and cuts just as much as my buddies stihl. It is a Poulan Pro, yellow and Black in color.

Depends how much wood you are cutting. I burn 10-12 cord a year and have a Stihl MS290 I think they are about $380-$400. If you are cutting a decent amount of wood I would go with a better saw it will save you in the long run. I have a 20" bar on mine, a 18" would be alot of fun to cut with.

IMO...Jonsered is by far the best. When I was a kid, Dad had a tree trimming business and tried about every brand out there. That was his saw of choice.
I've got the last one he bought and it's over 30 years old with hard use. Still out performs any others I've seen, used or owned.

Check out an Echo. Friend of mine has one and it starts much easier than a Stihl. In my experience, if you don't cut back the choke on a Stihl when it "burps," they can be tough to start.

Have also used a Makita that was a very nice saw.

I have been very happy with my two Stihls but I also have no experience with any other saws so cannot say anything bad about any of them.

Only real advice I have is..... If ya think you will onlly need a - bar !! Go bigger!! I have a Stihl it is great! Just wished I would have went 2 sizes up!!

hands down with the echo. get on ebay and buy an older model number 520 with an 18in bar or get the newer 4400. they start awesome and run like crazy. i use a 520 with a 20 in bar and its a sawin bastard. if you can get the husky to start they run decent. stihl makes the best little saw and the best BIG saw but the echo is the best midsize.

Last edited:
I have a stihl 361 w/ 20" bar. I do a ton of tree work and have many other saws, some stihl and some husky but my go to is the 361. Check out arboristsite.com they have some good recommendations.

I am not sure how much or hard you will use what ever saw you get, but for more casual use I don't think you could go wrong with the Polan. I have one that is about 5 years old, the Polan Pro I think, with an 18" bar and it does every thing I want or need it to do. There are lots of better and much more expensive saws out there but this is how I see it. At $150 for the Polan I can use this one for 10 years and throw it away, if necessary, and buy another to use for 10 years and then almost buy another for the same price of the big name saws today. So even if the big name last 25 or 30 years, by getting a new saw every 10 years or so I get all the new upgrades and newer technology for about the same money outlay so I win win. :way:

Checked out the poulans at lowe's yesterday. $160 for the saw, hardcase, and extra chain along with a 2yr warranty. That's gonna be the winner for now. Maybe in a few years when I'm "rich" I'll upgrade!

I bought a Poulan "Wild Thing" 7 years ago and it's the best money I've spent on lawn/yard equipment. They don't make this particular saw anymore, but you can still find "new, old stock" via EBay. This is the flourescent yellow/purple saw. Ugly as sin but it has cut a lot of wood for me. I'd guess I cut about a cord per year with it. Starts easy and will cut through anything the 18" bar can reach.

If I was cutting much more wood I'd go with a Stihl for my next saw...but for bucking trunks and trimming I'll keep my Poulan.

Top Bottom