Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's Happened?

KSQ2

PMA Member
This is NOT some rant. I'm truly a fan of iowawhitetail, I've been a member for eight years and a premium member for at least three. I come over here several times a week and there just isn't much activity. I know it's the calm before the storm, but in years past, by the middle of August, things have started hopping. My premium membership is due in a month and a half and I hope by then things have changed. Where did everybody go? I certainly hope all of you come back!

I'm thinking that has been a falling out at some point. There is some guys that used to post all the time that are not found and they have taken the cult with them. Not good for IW. I hope things pick up soon...

I've openly expressed my disappointment about how things have gotten on here. I said before that this site used to be my whitetail bible in terms of learning stuff and just seeing and discussing great deer, topics etc.

Obviously, we all have our own personal reasons for posting, not posting, lurking, or not even logging on but I do feel it is kind of sad that alot of great members have seeminly vanished. About 2 weeks ago to the yr I pulled into a sweet little location near Dubuque for a shed gathering. Without a doubt, my wife felt I was out of my mind for wanting to detour for such a thing but I really wanted to shake the hand of quite a few people that were in attendance and I don't regret it in the least but I can openly say I miss the input and sharing from some of those folks.

I'm not sure if the site will every be like it was a few yrs back, things change, time marches on. I still check in a few times a day wondering what's going on, hoping for some action. I'll always be a member and will always check in but I'm pretty sure this 2 fingered typer won't be taking the time to give a daily season report or a shed chronicle this year.

Post activity has dropped noticeably by certain long-standing members and that is a shame. However, the new format will most likely keep it that way as members will utilize the groups or friends features to discuss their addictions rather than the public forums. To each his own and I will continue to check this site more frequently than any other out of habit. I know my posts have diminished some but mostly due to lack of content to contribute (my first summer of running a trail camera was basically a bust as far as bucks - I got ALOT to learn about placements, etc.)

I wonder if the format has some people turned off as well. i know I talked to one friend who used to post allot, adn he flat out stopped because he was getting an e-mail notice everytime someone responded to a thread he started or commented on. easy to fix by going into your personal settings, but he is not a real computer savvy guy and just gave up. i wonder if this happened to others as well.

I know I have gotten tired of the whining on certain posts by folks needing to change OUR regulations for self motivated hunting experiences.

I still read a lot on here and agree the site has taken a step back on the number of posts and the attitudes on those posts but there is still a great deal of info to be had. Dbltree and his food plot knowledge is probably the BEST researched info out there.

Also seems to be some good trail cam pics coming through this summer as well. Site is much slower but fall is right around the corner and folks will be on here more and more as the season gets closer

SaskGuy...I hope you do not quit doing the journal. That is one of the great things about this site in my opinion. I hate seeing the drop in activity too, but I think a lot of it will come back the closer it gets to season. I hate to say it, but I think the format change has something to do with it. I have grown to like the changes, but I know others that have not. Another factor is the number of other sites that are available now. As I browse other sites, I see a lot of names that used to spend most of their time here. To each his own...but I like it here, I just hope it picks up.

One thing I enjoyed that seemed to get some good discussion going was the posting of aerials and individual's opinions on how to hunt or stand placement on each farm. Does anyone know of a good site that I can copy & paste an aerial from? I use terraserver to browse aerials but without paying for each map you can't copy & paste the picture. There was always a wealth of knowledge and opinion in these type of posts.

Hopefully it will pick back up as season gets into full swing. There is a lot to learn from the guys on the site. I as a new hunter have gathered a ton of knowledge, thanks to all who have posted.

I am a lot computer illiterate and have NOT been able to learn the new system. I guess the changes were for the better but this new one challenges me.

Less activity is not exclusive to this site...pretty common among these type of forums. Maybe the newness is wearing off, more online options, etc. As for me, I check in on about 2 or 3 sites each week and that's really all I have time for. IW has long been one of them, and will continue to be, but I do miss the input from some of the regulars of years past.

OK, so I went to the site and am saving these to my computer but I am not getting the true pic. It is just a white picture and the only thing that shows up is the gray line for the road and the road name.....any thoughts?

I'm still pushing to get to 11,000 posts, just don't have the time I once did now that kids are in the equation!

Sask - For what it's worth I hope to again read about your hunting chronicles. Last year that helped to keep me somewhat sane while I was eyebrow deep in poopy diapers.

yeah its the "summer lull" but this year is WAY worse than past years. i think its the format change. the old one was way better. i've gotten used to it, for the most part, but this one still sucks

I do miss many of the posters from the past. Something behind the scenes had to happen that many of us just dont know about. Many of the people that originally started this site have seemed to completely disappear. I would imagine someone like me who comes here to read and learn but not really contribute might be one of the reasons why things are so slow. I hope this site sticks around long enough so I can contribute some meaningful information when I am able to spend more time in the woods. I would hate to see what IowaWhitetail would be like if DblTree decided to stop doing what he does. I specifically still check this site daily to see what information he has for us. Maybe we all need to start letting some of the better posters know that we really appreciate what they are doing. Thanks DblTree!

OK, so I went to the site and am saving these to my computer but I am not getting the true pic. It is just a white picture and the only thing that shows up is the gray line for the road and the road name.....any thoughts?

Once you get the area of interest showing, then go to the top of their website and look for "Download map", it is the third from the left. Click on that and it will bring up a new page where you can choose image size and format.

Back on topic: The new format chased many people off. I think they are still lurking, just not as willing to post or set up their User CP. Summer lull is another factor, as well as a plethora of other websites out there.

New format is the reason why some of my friends stopped visiting the site.

I think a lot of the older members got sick of answering the same questions over and over again from new and newer members.

The PMA section is horrible now. I don't think I've even went into that section for like a month. New sites for more common interests is another reason.

Top Bottom