Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

whats in your blind?

peterb

well i was able to get out after work for a bit and this year i decided im gonna try to stick one with my bow. i have a ameristep that i bought a couple years ago for deer hunting and i hated using it for that but i thought i would try it for turkeys, well i still hate using a blind. you cant see everything and it seems that i could never have enough room. but i know its kinda hard to not use a blind, at least i would think its hard, so i just wanted to know what you guys have for blinds and what you make sure have in it like bow stand, seat ect. also any tips about keeping noise down inside there is great. and any tips in general i guess is ok as well. thanks.

i have a Double Bull Matrix and T2
love them both!!!

im no turkey bow hunter, but id say hunting out of a blind is the cat's meow!

Only advice I have...get your blind set up in a good spot, whether it be in the middle of a field or wherever, turkeys don't care. Get in it well before sunrise, bring a thermos, some donuts, relax, and enjoy. Blind hunting is luxurious and fun /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

If you leave your blind out it might end up in the next county with an unforseen wind. Not that big a deal to pack it in and out. My seat is a 5 gallon pail turned upside down. It doubles as a deke carrier on the way in and out. Take off the wire handle and use a rope for a handle. Alot quieter. My blind has a built in hanger from the roof which is nice but I used to just lay the bow on the ground. Sit back in the corners and wear dark clothing and you should be OK. I've never been busted by birds in a blind. Good luck............

I only leave my blind in place if I plan to return the next morning or within a hour or two in the afternoon. Other than that it gets packed in and out every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only leave my blind in place if I plan to return the next morning or within a hour or two in the afternoon. Other than that it gets packed in and out every time. </div></div>

Same here!

My DB blind gets moved around during the season, but it's out now and will be out for the season.

We made a bunch of stainless steel corner steaks out of 1/4" round stock. Never had my blind blow away yet. I'm lucky to hunt in an area I feel safe from thieft as well.

I hate (and I mean HATE) packing in in the morning by myself and I won't do it. Too much stuff and it takes the fun out of the hunt for me.

I am also usually set up within 100 yards of roosting Toms and I like the stealth approach in the morning.

Blind hunting with a buddy can be a total blast!

Good luck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

But what do you take to the blind with you? I'm sitting here looking at a pile of "stuff" and I can't decide what to put in teh pack and what to leave in the truck.

How much of this crap should I pack in with me?

Flashlight(s)
Knife(ives)
Box chalk and sand paper
Turkey scale
Wet wipes (ya never know....)
Binos
Range finder
6 decoys and stakes
Gun
10 rounds of shot shells
Bow
Bow holder
Release
Head cover
Jacket
Gloves
Lucky shed
Orange stocking hat
GPS
Box call
Slate call
4 strikers
Water
Food (trailmix, jerky NO Ho Hos)
Thermacell
Bug spray
Camera
Blind
Chair
Hunting glasses
Licenses
Tylenol (turkey camp hangover)
Rain gear
Cammo shirt (in case I have to spot and stalk)
Snot rags
Fake turkey fan for decoy

How much of this crap can I leave behind? I'm up to a hundred pounds and I haven't even started walking yet. I need to make my pile smaller, so what do you guys take to the blind with you?

The 'Bonker

Oh yeah, This stuff has been in my plastic tubs with dirt scent waffers all winter. It is currrenty "airing out" in the living room. The wife isn't too happy.

As the season progresses I take less and less stuff.

Blind
Chair
Bow
Bow holder
range finder
2 releases
3 slate calls
2 mouth calls
8 tent stakes
flashlight
can of soda or bottle of water
5 decoys
licenses
cell phone
crow call
black sweatshirt
black face mask
2 pairs of gloves
digital camera
video camera (solo videoing blows, last night may have been my last)
tripod
binoculars
there's more stuff, i'm sure i'll cull my load tonite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i'm sure i'll cull my load tonite. </div></div>

Interesting /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Bonker - your list seems crazy big - if that was my list this is what I'd do...

Substitue the flashlight for a headlamp
Loose the GPS - what is that for in Iowa? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Is the thermacell necessary when you have bug spray too?
Turkey scale could stay in the truck - so can the knives or just keep a small one in your pocket
6 decoys? Holy crap you guys put out the flock!
Range finder? Probably not shooting out past 15 yards or so for a turkey are ya with a bow?
You're taking a gun and a bow?
Rain gear has always been questionable for me...

I hope you're not going in solo - that's a lot of crap to carry for one dude! The simplicity of going in with a few decs, my gun, my gear pouch and finding a big fat tree to sit next to is what I like about turkey hunting. I realize bow hunting them is different and requires a tad more gear...but still - simpler is better has always been my motto....

I did the youth hunt with my 9 year old son this past weekend and let me tell ya, my pack got a lot lighter when he was done! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I did find out that string cheese is a must in a blind with a child. Seeing who can get the thinnest piece of cheese can pass many hours of slow time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif The "time game" is great too. You watch, listen, and every few minutes try to guess what time it is. Man I need a Game-Boy! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif My pack is way to full and I find myself leaving more things at home on every outing. My mind says "yes" but the body says "NO"!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I leave my blinds up for a few days at a time. I use cheap blinds so it doesn't matter as much if one gets stolen or blown away. A few tips I can give is to use a cloth padded bow case during turkey season. They double as a mat for afternoon naps and keep you off of the cold damp ground. A good "poke in the ground" bow holder will keep your bow at the ready and maximize the space in your blind to. Good hunting! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Shoot2Kill, thanks for the reply, I kinda needed a nuge to leave some of the stuff behind. I think what I will do is take it all along and leave it in the tote at camp and only pack one of each of what I need. The GPS though, I know for a fact if I go in in the dark I'll never find my way out so I always mark a waypoint where I park. I've been lost and it sucks.

The 'Bonker

Well, my Rackpack fold into a chair so I have the blind and chair on my back. In a fanny pack I have my release, slate and a box call, crow call, flashlight, license. In my decoy bag I have 2 deeks, the stakes and a bowholder. I've rigged the decoy bag to attach to the backpack affair which now leaves two free hands. The bow gets carried with one hand. The remaining and now only free hand is there to break my fall when I trip with all this $@!# I'm packing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif If I get up early enough, I wrangle a thermos of coffee into the mix, otherwise a bottle of water goes into the already mentioned fanny pack.

for you guys who pack in your blind all the time how the heck do u do it with the kind that have tent like fiberglass rods, they are a pain enough when time and noise are not an option. and what kind of seat would a tall guy like me use? i would think a five gallon bucket would be to short and my knees would start to hurt after a couple hours. thanks.

I went light the other night.

Blind
Chair
Bow
1 release
2 slates
turkey vest
badlands 2200
black facemask/gloves
2 decoys
range finder

Top Bottom