Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whats the best broadheads on the market today?

If you follow hunting shows you'll notice that they swear by a product till they get a new sponsor deal then their new product is the best of the best! I say try a couple out and trust your own judgement![/QUOTE]

I support this statement 100%

I like the G5 striker 100 grain or Thunderhead 85 fixed blades. For me i like the high likely hood of a good exit wound with a fixed blade. But stated earlier in the post was the fact that nice shot placement is the key.

Ive been using g5 montecs for a couple years and like them a lot.. nothing has went past 40 yards yet and you can re-sharpen them. Unless you lose them or shoot a rock, they'll last forever. If your bow is tuned correctly, theyll shoot just like your field tips
This isn't true. There are two different cases with two different guys why i'll never purchase Montecs. Couple years ago my cousin shot a nice buck with montecs and yea we found it with a sparse blood trail as it didn't punch all the way through. So while gutting a deer with a broadhead still floating around in there is no fun when we got to it we found the reason why it didn't exit. this year my buddy shot at a doe and was a little low. Clean miss and hit a little branch laying on the ground the size of a rib bone. the shaft of the broadhead snapped off the blades. solid steal my Butt. You want a good broadhead in that style get a NAP HELLRAZOR. I have been using them the last ten years and have spined a deer with one and checked it on target and was straight so sharpened it and shot my buck with the same broadhead on a different arrow of corse. i have filled one or two tags over that period every year and they blast through nicely and they are 1/16 bigger cutting diamiter.

This isn't true. There are two different cases with two different guys why i'll never purchase Montecs. Couple years ago my cousin shot a nice buck with montecs and yea we found it with a sparse blood trail as it didn't punch all the way through. So while gutting a deer with a broadhead still floating around in there is no fun when we got to it we found the reason why it didn't exit. this year my buddy shot at a doe and was a little low. Clean miss and hit a little branch laying on the ground the size of a rib bone. the shaft of the broadhead snapped off the blades. solid steal my Butt. You want a good broadhead in that style get a NAP HELLRAZOR. I have been using them the last ten years and have spined a deer with one and checked it on target and was straight so sharpened it and shot my buck with the same broadhead on a different arrow of corse. i have filled one or two tags over that period every year and they blast through nicely and they are 1/16 bigger cutting diamiter.
The buck my cousin shot the tip of the broadhead busted off leaving it blunt. not just the very tip but about a 1/4 inch was missing.

Like many others here, I've bowhunted for decades and been involved in many blood trails. Over a lifetime of bowhunting, you'll find yourself in many different situations after the shot is taken. Sometimes you'll see exactly where the arrow hits, and sometimes you'll think you did, but you later find out your eyes may have lied a little. Sometimes you won't see the impact at all. Sometimes you'll be able to watch the animal as it runs and sometimes you'll lose sight of it immediately in surrounding cover. You'll shoot some in the morning, some just before dark, and some just before a shower comes through. I never have found, or want to find a deer of my own the next morning that the coyotes have beaten me to. For these reasons, I like to make sure the arrow will penetrate as deep as possible. A broadside shot on a deer should always result in an exit hole for the best blood trail possible, especially when hunting from tree stands. I've seen many deer shot on video with expandable broadheads in the last few years and I'm not at all impressed with the lack of penetration that's commonly shown. I've seen many deer that were left overnight because the penetration was poor and the blood trail just wasn't there. I think some guys shoot heavy enough bows to shoot them responsibly, but many others don't, and they're doing themselves and the deer a disservice. It takes a lot of energy to send a big broadhead completely through a big whitetail, especially if he doesn't give you the perfect 15-20 yard broadside shot.

The awesome blood trails that some of the expandable blade manufacturers lay claim to aren't always possible if an exit hole isn't there, and many great blood trails have been produced by fixed blade broadheads. Many hunters that have never shot an expandable have shot thousands and thousands of deer through the years that ran 100 yards or less before piling up, and many of those made it less than 50 yards. The expandable blade advertisers would just as soon we didn't mention that.

Anyone starting out in bowhunting should ignore the big money advertising and shoot a sharp fixed blade broadhead that flies great out of their bow. That great blood trail that you'll get with an exit hole will always be welcomed. You can always try something different at a later date, if you see fit. I know a few good bowhunters that have tried expandables and abandoned them because of lack of penetration.

Last edited:
I shot 2 deer with G5 montecs and got complete pass through on both. One stuck in a log and the other in the dirt
They were both surprisingly sharp when recovered. Not sharp enough to re-use without a touch up but sharp nonetheless. They are in my quiver right now. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I really like the rage extremes but think the new nap killzones are better due to no o rings or retention collars to jack with. I've saw more lost deer with them g5 Montecs than anything.

I like the cut on impact fixed blades myself. Like he stealforce with bleeder blades that will find it's way trough the rib bones and give a complete pass through. Bottom line you need that pass through or your blood trail can be minimal.

I like the cut on impact fixed blades myself. Like he stealforce with bleeder blades that will find it's way trough the rib bones and give a complete pass through. Bottom line you need that pass through or your blood trail can be minimal.

I also agree!

I've used several different heads and almost all of them worked as they should. For fixed blades I can't see myself shooting anything other than slick trick magnums.

I've used a couple different mechanicals this year and both have been excellent. My favorite is the wasp Jak-Hammer but the last three deer I've shot were with rocket Hammerheads. The wasps seem to be more durable and have thicker blades. The buck I shot this year was a terrible shot and I actually cut his femur in half. The ferrule was bent but the head and blades were intact.

The Hammerheads leave giant holes and blood absolutely pours out.

Kind of surprised nobody has said NAP Spitfires yet. I've been shooting them since either 98 or 99 and have never had one fail to perform like it should. They've always opened (judged by the enterance and exit wounds during processing) and I can only think of a few times I didn't get a clean pass through. The few times I can think of that I didn't get a clean pass through I had an entry and exit hole but the arrow hung in for a second or two as the deer took off.

My two deer archery deer so far this year were shot with Spitfires. My buck went maybe 20yds after the broadhead took out his heart. The doe I just shot saturday may have made it 75yds but the blood trail across the snow left by a double lung hit was ridiculous. Both of these shots were well placed (which is the ultimate key) but once again my trusty Spitfires did their job.

Pictures from Saturday, again if ya hit them in the right place pretty much any broadhead's gonna do just fine.

554204_695220247168882_4824394_n.jpg

1486797_695220320502208_1703608291_n.jpg

As others have said, you can't come onto a site and ask for opinions expecting to find a consensus answer. There are several good heads out there on both the fixed and mechanical side of the fence.

Last edited:
I like the spitfires to have used them for a long time never had a problem and they fly good. I really like the huge cutting on the big 2 blades now. Can dang near stick your hand in the hole lol. New bows shoot hard enough penetration isn't really even a problem any more.

I have shot two deer with Rage broad heads (one a two blade and one a three blade) and recovered both within 100 yards of the shot, great broad heads as far as my experiences go. In fact the buck I shot this only made it about 50 yards. However; I also have a buddy who has had similar success Swhacker broad heads and I've seen the evidence to support his faith in them, so I would recommend either brand.

I'm still using the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade fixed broadheads that I started with (new blades of course). Seem to work if put in the right place. Don't have to worry about them not opening. And fly just like my practice heads...using practice blades in place of the hunting blades.

I've started using Rocket Hammerheads and they do open some great holes and the tracking was very easy!

My personal favorite Rocky Mountain Titanium
They don't make anymore?

Used Rocket Sidewinders for many yrs. always opened. did good job. Problem- tiny screws to replace blades. Pain. Tried Slick trick Mags this season. Great job on the deer. Easy to replace blades. Easy to resharpen. Saves $. I am sticking with em from now on.

Top Bottom