Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whats the big deal?

wow, that is pretty bold!!!

i might have gone to jail with 180....
what a jerk!

I hope your mom let him have it too!!!!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Palmated</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you not want radio's? Is it because they could be used to help someone kill a deer? Maybe a deer you have been watching and never got? What's the deal. Are you that much of a fanatic. People they are DEER. Yes, it feels great when you put in your time and shoot a big old booner, do you pass deer and eat tag soup because the big one never presented it's self to you? I think that is what is wrong with society today, everyone is looking out for themselves instead of giving a helping hand. If you eat tag soup three out of four years because you want to get the "Big One", then that is a problem. I am just as much of a accomplish hunter as the next guy, but I have changed my priorities. I have kids that I am trying to keep in the hunting tradition and anyway I can keep them safe and give them a enjoyable hunt, I am willing to do it. If you step back for a moment and ask yourself why it is you are hunting and think of all the nosense that you have bought, tried or thought of while hunting, you can sometimes see why non hunters think we are nuts. Just my opinion but it is a strong opinion. I have written my State Rep and Senator several times on the issue. As far as the group I hunt with, they are the safest guys I know, but it's that one time something happens, is why I am concerned. I have had hunters in our group get lost on the land we hunt and end up 5 miles from where they were suppose to be. Had it be one of the older guys in our group and it was in one of the blizzards we have had during 1st season, it could have been a big problem. You ever fallen down a ditch in the timber? There are a lot of other things when it comes to safety then shooting. See you are looking at as shooting safety, I am looking at the big picture. Whispering distance? Have you ever shotguned with a group? Some of the ground we cover is 2 miles by 2 miles wide. No whispering distance. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to point out that there are more things that need to be looked at other than herding deer with radio's. </div></div>

I have hunted with a group, yes. And if you read my post, I commented that most accidents happen near the trucks........And that is when you are all together not two miles apart!

As far as getting lost. Agreed. But GPS work just as well as radios and are perfectly legal!

Am I against a good hunter such as yourself using a radio? Nope, I am not. What I am against is anything that can assist Poachers! And guess who would use them quite a bit......Poachers...

The way I look at it is that they are not needed for a drive to be successful. But they sure could be handy for groups poaching deer to coordinate! Am I worried about someone shooting my deer??? NOPE!!!!! They would have to trespass to do it, and they will need more than a radio to get them out of that situation. But if a guy sees a deer on my property and radios to his friends to go to the other side while he sneaks through, then yea! I am really freaking worried about it!!

Groups have guns that hold more bullets than ever, they are getting more people than ever, and are getting more land than ever! If done properly, deer have to be pretty smart to escape. So I don't see how radios are going to make a difference! Hell, it make hunting safer and easier if they put tracking collars on deer and we could track the coordinates and kill them that way!!

Come on, what's next!!! It is hunting isn't it!!! Guess it is safer if you radio ahead, "just jumped up a big boy. Get ready he'll be 70 yards to your west!!!!!!!!!!!"

Seriously?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RULES,RULES,RULES. Who makes them and why? OK its BS. Sorry fellas its ok to shoot does in iowa with a high power but it too dangerous to shoot bucks in iowa BS!!!! Granted im glad we cant harvest bucks with a hp and thats why we have the bucks we do but safety issue on the hp? HELL NO!!! Its all about the mighty dollar fellas. Just like seatbelts who in the living ____ made this BS law? Kids yes, adults who cares should be up to YOU!!!!! MONEY MONEY MONEY!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>

Same with drugs huh?

Some rules are silly, but guess what, you still have a choice! Don't wear your seat belt, and pay the fine! You can still choose. You just have to face "the man" if your caught!

I agree, but as long as we are discussing rules, and using safety as the main argument, the why don't we just OUTLAW DRIVES!!

Then you wouldn't need radios for safety purposes!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if I hit a deer with a vehicle I would never consider them a nuisance, just an inconvenience at the time! Anyway, we can kick the ball back and forth forever it seems, opinions won't change... I'm glad they don't allow radios. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

</div></div>

Deer ARE a nuisasnce, thats why there are city hunts and late late season slick hunts...Not that anyone REALLY hunts the city to control them.

Obivously you aren't going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours. I will still use my radio's as a safety precaution and do it legally, no coordinating the hunt or telling where deer are as I have done in the past. I have been checked by the DNR several times and they have always let it go because they know our group and know we do it by the books. I even tell him which channel we are on if he wants to listen. Regardless if they have radio's or not, if someone is going to do something illegal, they will do it when and how they want and hope they don't get caught. If you play within the rules no one should have to worry. I know I won't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deer ARE a nuisasnce, thats why there are city hunts and late late season slick hunts...Not that anyone REALLY hunts the city to control them. </div></div>

City hunts and late season hunts are in place to manage herd numbers of what most hunters consider a very valuable resource, and some city folk, and all insurance companies consider to be a nuisance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flugge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...He came up to my window, grabbed the phone from my ear and proceeded to ask her questions. Thinking that she was hunting. He wanted to give me a ticket, and I told him where to go. Pry wasnt my smartest move, but he let me go, and told me not to have my phone with me again. </div></div>

Banning cell phones when hunting would be polititcal suicide for the DNR in my opinion. First ex-cellphone user they find hanging in a harness would make that law sound as bad as a dry keg 5 minutes into free beer night. I'll have mine with me irregardless since I'm not a huge fan of accidental (and preventable) death.

what im saying is , yrs ago they never had them, safty WAS STILL AN ISSUE, YOU FIGURED IT OUT,now , bow hunting alone, and you fell, the c-phone is great.if you fell , you can get help, your hunting alone.so, technoligy has caught up with us, if you have a cell phone on you for emergency purposes, great, but if the DNR stops you, he'll say otherwise,he can take the phone, ck records and see every person you called and when. the law states NO radio devises on said person while party hunting. i agree , the law should be tweaked, but till then, its money in the bank.if youre group hunting, & everyone has a cell, trust me, the DNR will think you used them for hunting, not safty, he'll run out of ink writing tickets , trust me.why, my cousin is a warden!

I just don't see phones being that great of an advantage during shotgun season when it come to actually killing the deer. Yes, you can know where they are and where they are going but you still have to pull the trigger by yourself. Really if we want to talk about technology giving people an unfair advantage trail cameras probably should be higher on the list then phones and radios. With technology continuing to only move forward there are going to be many considerations made in the upcoming years. The DNR, although necessary, is so far out of proportion when it comes to law enforcement it isn't even funny. Think about it, you break a game law and you can lose your priveledge to hunt or fish but if you drink and drive you can still at least drink beer and in some instances still drive. Although it is probably a good idea in some instances to take away priveledges they have too much power considering the seriousness of the offenses.

I got interested enough in this thread to actually check the exact wording of the regs:

Use of CB or Mobile Transmitter
You cannot use a two-way mobile radio transmitter to <u> communicate the location or direction of game or furbearing animals, or to coordinate the movement of other hunters</u>. (See the definitions of one-and two-way mobile radio transmitters on p. 11 for more information.) Exceptions: Coyote hunters may use two-way transmitters, except during the two regular gun(shotgun) deer seasons. A falconer may use a oneway mobile transmitter to recover a free-flying bird of prey that is properly banded and covered on a falconry permit. Hunters with dogs may use a oneway mobile transmitter to track or aid in the recovery of the dog.

Definitions of mobile radio from page 11
“Two-way radio transmitter” means a radio <u>capable of transmitting and receiving voice messages</u>, including, but not limited to, a citizen band radio or a cellular telephone. Two-way radio transmitters would also include walkie-talkies or hand held radios.

So I read this as cell phones are fine to have on your person so long as they are not used for reasons underlined in the first paragraph. One would hope that bowhunters would never even be questioned about this issue. As to the texting questions, I'd say that if you read the letter of the law, texting, if done for the underlined purposes in paragraph one, would also be included as off limits since all texts would come from a cell that is also "capable of transmitting and receiving voice messages". So as a bowhunter, I'll continue to carry the phone and use it either voice or text for legit reasons as most all of us do here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ibowbigbucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> my cousin is a warden! </div></div>

As in prison? I believe Iowa has prison wardens and DNR Conservation Officers.

As with several discussions lately, how do you prove "intent"?

If I ever go back to party hunting I will have a cell phone with me and it will be my practice as well as intent to use it only to get unlost. Guess I’ll pay the fine rather than wonder around aimlessly in the woods.

As far as hunting safety, how costly would it be for everyone to have a GPS unit of some kind that would show the position of all the posters and walkers? You wouldn’t be able to communicate but you would know where every one is.

The ‘Bonker

game warden-{conservation officer) a cell phone is a valuable tool while hunting alone- if you party hunt, use it wisley, if not , it may come back to haunt you!not saying that a cell phone is not a asset if your hurt, it will help you. the eyes in the sky opening shotgun, use it wisley! your gps is a great idea.i have one and like it alot, i can tell every place iv been.

Top Bottom