Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whats the word so far?

Elitebowhunter

Anyone having luck seeing the bigger bucks yet? I sat in the stand this morning till 9 and saw some small bucks and a couple of does. Was going to take one of the does but didn't get a great shot. Hopefully the big boys start showing up during the daylight soon.

I made it out yesterday and sat in solid rain for about 4 hours.. I didn't see anything at all while in the stand, but, when I was walking in, I kicked two does off the trail near my stand at about 3pm. It's a little early yet for my area to start seeing the big ones.. They show up in this spot around the last 10 days of October or so.

I have seen a ton of deer movement on 2 seperate farms including a 110" 8 point but I agree it is still a bit early for the big guys to come out and play. Hopefully this cool weather keeps the deer moving again tonight.

opening day afternoon had a doe and two little ones come by. Doe was about to get it but when I went to draw, must not have had the release clipped all the way and the string slipped flinging the arrow about 10 yards. Went to nock another arrow...she took a few steps and never offered another shot. Passed on about a 130" 2 1/2 year old at 20 yards...hopefully he will make it and he will be a stud in 2 years.

Opening day started out awesome to say the least 5:20 I looked to my left to see the big ten i am after making a scrape 50 yards away. He is pushing 160 then saw a mid 130's 7 point work over a tree for about a half an hour. While he was doing this a small six point came out to feed in the picked corn behind me. It then rained for a little bit and as soon as i quit, two more bucks came out to play. A 2 1/2 year old 8 point and a dandy 140's point came right down the pipe. I was hoping they would bring the big ten with them but no luck. Needless to say i didnt let loose an arrow but the trail cam did get some pics as they passed. It was pretty cool to know that you where getting some photos. I will probably switch card next time i hunt that stand. Seeing the big ones but its only going to get better.

I hunted the NE Iowa farm yesterday and today. Yesterday had 5 does and 4 smalls bucks come by me, tonight I had 2 small bucks walk right under me, which was awesome. Haven't seen any bucks over 2.5 years old yet. Last year I started seeing the 3.5+ year olds the last week of October. I'll be down on the SE Iowa farm next weekend which has a lot more big bucks in the area so hopefully I'll get a glimpse of one of them.

My dad had a 150 incher come in today at 3:30pm making rubs all around him. He finally ended that when a nice fat doe walked up and he shot her. A lot of earlier movement then usual from my buddies anyways.

Saturday night was the first time out. Three of us sat on food plots and I can't believe the number of deer we saw. I saw 28 deer including 8 bucks, one a good 3 1/2. My one partner sat about 16 does & fawns and he was sitting on a corn field and couldn't see very far. Our other partner saw 6 bucks & 8 does including a 5 to 6 year old buck he passed on because he is from out of state and didn't want to burn his tag yet.
I think the cooler weather is a factor, but I think the main reason is that there are not very many acorns in our area this year. Last year we had a big acorn crop and we didn't see very many deer at the plots. At the rate we are seeing them at the plots this year the plots won't last very long.

Just watched the local news and the weather report said a chance for snow and much cooler temps for saturday night. This will really get stuff moving.

i went out lastnight & saw 2 bucks & six does ,i rattled in a 130" class ten pointer he hung around within 25 yards for 45 minutes i could have shot him several times but it's not what i'm looking for but it was a very enjoyable hunt.

Went out tonight and harvested a big doe. Saw deer all evening. Had Adidas come into 65 yards but no closer. It seems that I never see big bucks early, so i'd say its good right now. Only going to get better with the forecast the next week or so. Can't wait to get out there and chase them around again.

Top Bottom