Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When to start calling?

CurtisWalker

New to calling this year and was wondering when to start grunting, rattling, estrous bleats, ect? Heard two bucks fighting two nights ago so I got me thinking. When does everyone start.

I don't use any calls until Halloween and even then I use them sparingly. Bucks in the areas I hunt usually go the other way when I rattle. Grunt calls works well though.

I rattled in a nice buck in 2009 late November, that was the only 3.5+ year old buck I've ever rattled in. Usually it just attracts dinks.

In my opinion, it all depends on your area. If you have low hunting pressure and you're hunting a spot where a mature buck can't get downwind of you, rattling should work well but I wouldn't smack the horns until later in Oct.

I may start tickling the horns this weekend, but probably won't get after it very hard. May depend on the activity I see. If I see any doe checking, I may have to throw out a bleat or two just to see what happens. Haven't done any calling yet, except for trying to call in a coyote for predator management, which didn't work. Probably spooked all the deer off the farm too!

I usually don't even make a noise until the last week of October. Generally when I start hearing the deer make noise is when I call.

My buddy rattled lightly last weekend and 4 different bucks came in. Probably gonna do some light tickling of the horns this weekend.

last year from Nov2-8th I rattled deer in every day- on Nov 6th I had a different buck come running in every hour to the rattle

and the buck I killed last year busted me and when I hit the horns together he came back AGAIN - when they have ladies and fighting on their mind- nothing is better than watching a buck come running in on a string to a rattle and grunt

that being said- if you don't do it during rut and its too early- or too late - I have seen them run. but first 2 weeks of November- hit them horns together!

Friend of mine and his brother in law were out this week early ML. Friend grunted and doe bleated at a buck they saw in the distance in the timber. He turned and walked right to them, shot him. 120-130" 8 pt with a huge body.

Top Bottom