Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where did they go?

Buckhunter

We were seeing plenty of deer before the snow came hitting the picked bean fields and now they are seldom seen, anybody else having a problem figuring out what they are doing? just wondering if this snow has them in a funk or something. The area we hunt is surrounded by timber with picked unplowed bean fields and corn stocks but we just are not seeing much at all. Private area with almost no pressure. Just kinda confused and frustrated right now.

Last edited:
They were hammering the picked beans here to until the cold and snow hit and now its like they just stopped feeding but I know they have to feed right now!

I am seeing the same. One field I hunt close to had 18 deer in it 2 days after shotgun season ended....haven't seen one out there since. Gave up trying to hunt where no deer are and have been driving around trying to find them, I am seeing most of the deer in people's yards at dark, and some in and around cedar thickets...again at dark. Corn, Bean, alfalfa fields are empty. The few I have seen have been on beans. Pretty sure it's the moon making them nocturnal.

Thanks everyone. And slice I have been wondering the same thing about the moon. Sat in a blind tonight overlooking a pasture type area and had 3 does come out right at dark. We are going to try and sit up in timber tomorrow and try to locate something. Man you hope for this type weather then it bites you in the butt.

I have been seeing the most deer in alfalfa fields and pastures. Of course I had to drive around to figure that out. My usual spots weren't producing. I wish so many farmers wouldn't chisel plow.

Been having 35-45 consistently come out of the timber into picked beans around 3-3:30 ever since the bigger early snowfall. The problem in there lies that the mature deer are definitely hanging back (unless they're dead). Have only seen a handful of 100"-120" deer since muzzy opened and the trail cams have been empty too. I've made sets inside the timber and had a ton of movement from 12-1, then it seems to die off for an hour or two before they make the big push to the field. I'm going for broke this weekend and setting up even further in in hopes of catching a bruiser making the move late, just hope I don't bump um.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

^^^. Speaking of going for broke...... Would you guys throw the kitchen sink at um as far as light rattles and light grunts or just simply stay quiet? I know that blind calling seldom works in the real world but just watched a Kiskie episode a couple weeks back where he blind grunted a couple giants during late muzzy. I've got 2 more days to hunt before going back to work so I'm thinking normal quiet sit the first day and go for broke on the second. I'm not opposed to tag soup!

Sent from my iPhone using IW

RC if it were me I wouldnt make a sound once you are in place. The bigger bucks have seen and heard it all for months. If you can find them I would just get in position and sit very quietly and hope for a shot.

Had a nice buck bedded down about 80 yards from me this morning. Grunted
once at him and he jumped up and ran off.

Top Bottom