Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where have you sat?

pamarcole

pamarcole
So last Sunday evening we were taking my son back to school in Iowa City after his Thanksgiving break. It was about 4:30 pm and we were seeing a few deer in the fields along I-80. And I see all of these big'ole billboards out in the fields and I'm thinking .......wouldn't that be sweet! A guy might just be able to crawl up on one of those billboards and have a perfect ready made place to hunt. So my question is ...has anyone every done that? Or ...what have people taken advantage of and used other than the standard "tree" or "tree stand". I have seen the post of the older gentleman that hunts out of a trailer....that is so cool?

I have sat inside a barn on a like of hay waiting for the deer to walk into a field nearby. Theres a big open door that I would have been able to shoot from. Worked pretty nice because I could see the deer coming from the north by looking through nail holes in the old steel!

I've also crawled on top of an old grain separator to see down over a hilltop while on stand for a drive.

I think those are the only out of normal blinds/stands I have used.

I know a guy who was hunting a piece of ground along I80 in Iowa City.

He put an arrow into a buck and it took off across the interstate, hit by two cars. The second car was driven by a friend of his. The driver that hit it first didn't want it, so the friend claimed it. Think it was close to 180".

I don't think you can hunt within the boundaries of the interstate.

Edit: Also, there is no (legal) bow hunting within Iowa City limits.

Last edited:
Barn

Creep feeder

Portable farrowing hut

By the looks of one of Kaare's trail cam photos, a winterized combine might work too...

Lots of stuff through the years................
Combine cab that was laying in a fenceline
Windmill
Grain bin, inside and on top
Barn
Abandoned house
Behind a stack of old pivot tires
Old camper
Fertilizer tank
Livestock water tank
Haystack
Abandoned car

I've used old power line poles for a treestand, sit next to a large powerline pole in the middle of an ag field, barn, old corn crib. Nice thread

I have seen blinds set up near those billboard signs, in fence lines and near field edges along I-80 during turkey and deer season. :drink2: :drink1:

Top Bottom