Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where would you hang and hunt?

My scouting season has had alot of misfortune so far, with the exception of the two bucks I posted the other day, Im not seeing much in the normal areas on my main farm.

Below is a map of the farm and I would like to hear where some of you guys would hang a stand for early season, rut and late season.

Yellow is the property line
Red is the entry/ exit routes
Green is the food plots
The larger foodplot is the new rye/ oats plot
The smaller plot is about an acre of clover

Here's my initial 5 minute thoughts. Of course these all depend on how the land lays, which I cannot see from that picture.
Blue dot seems like a good stand anytime of the year for an evening sit. Deer coming from the South bedding area out to the food plot. Killer late season setup.
Yellow dot is basically the same idea as the blue just back in there a little further where a big boy may hang up at last light before entering the plot.
Red dot is again a similar set just on the other plot.
Orange dot is a transition line from one chunk of timber to the other....possibly. I would imagine they use that small tree line on occasion??
My respective colored lines are possible access routes to each stand location. Again, this all depends on terrain as well. Maybe none of these spots works.

30,000' view.... that south fence row between the two sections of timber on a north wind during the rut. I would think (guess) that bucks transition thru there between the two sections of timber looking for hot does.

Thanks a lot! I assume on the yellow and blue I'd need a North or NW wind and the orange a West, what about the red? I do get a lot of deer coming from the east, which is 50acre of crp, heading to the clover.
And yes the south fence row is a good spot to catch bucks cruising.

Your responses are reassuring, thanks again

I like Lyons dots. The yellow one especially for a pre rut evening sit which could be hunted on a south wind as long as you are on the downwind side of the travel corridor and make sure your wind is not blowing into the plot. Also like the fenceline connecting the chunks.

Man wind directions are tough to say without knowing where the main trails are. I envision the yellow and blue stand locations would be on the northern half of that timber draw. If that's the case, a south or east wind would likely be the best. Assuming the orange stand is set up strictly for deer traveling that line, either a north or south wind should work as long as you can shoot before it gets downwind. Red stand you might have to shift that stand location if you have deer coming from the east. Maybe move it to the north end of those trees so you can hunt it with a south wind.

Top Bottom