Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

WHICH DO U SHOOT?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Both walking by. Which & why? I understand we have dynamics across country that vary widely. So- that’s a “must” in description to hear about unique regions or scenarios if u have em!!! (“I’m stuck in MI” ;) ). “Top deer older”.
IMG_5163.jpeg

I'd shoot the bottom one easily, as long as I knew for a fact he was at least 4.5. Doubtful I'd shoot the top one regardless of age. If he's deemed an old warrior then I'd hope my kids could connect. I only shoot one buck a year and it's usually only once every 3 or 4 years.

I would shoot the top one. For a deer to reach the 200” level, it takes a special deer and the bottom one looks like it could be something special. You don’t get many chances to chase a 200” whitetail!!!!

I’m all about age and history of a deer- score is just a number (although my goal is to beat my grandpas 200 5/8”) I like the top one, hoping to build more history with the bottom one. That’s just me (and yes, the deer I shot last year resembled the top one because I had 2 years of sheds off my home farm)

Most likely, neither. But, if I had a crack at the top one on the very last day of any season, I’d punch the tag.

This is the same scenario that plays out for me and to be honest I pass both deer hoping to catch up to a real stud at some point in the season. The top deer Id shoot last week of season if he walked by me. Problem is too many of these crappy genetic deer are making it through to the next year with this approach.

If the top deer is older, I'd shoot that one over the other buck.

I had the exact same scenario play out in 2004. The younger buck was a 160's class 10 with the buck in my avatar at 35 yards.

I never caught up to that other buck, but the next year a couple friends of mine were awestruck by a 190 class 10 with the same bone white rack as the buck I saw the year before on my farm....

A few years ago I passed a buck that looked like the buck in the bottom pic. I misjudged him, based on many pics and lots of history. Figure he was 4.5 and scored mid 160s. Found both sheds and he was mid 180s. Nearly got him the next year, didn't take a risky shot. Neighbor got him day 2 of gun. He had 17 points and a large drop, probably around 200.

I'm assuming the bottom pic is a 170s. You guys agree? He could be a 6 or 7 yr old buck. Surprised everyone is a passer so far. Think I can see 14 scoreable points. Could be more in those brows.

Where I hunt I wouldn't shoot either of those. I only see a 150s deer in the second pic and I'd be inclined to assume he still has some potential to get better in the coming years. I am only allowed one deer here so I'd be looking for something better than the top one. Looking for a target buck is all part of the fun of the hunt, so I would just keep looking, and hoping, ha.

Bottom deer pictured, no brainer. I don't care about age. That's a shooter.

Maybe I'm in the wrong community.

We're hunters and that 2nd buck is what we're after.

Stop overthinking it and hunt!

IN THIS REAL EXAMPLE….
Top one is either 5 or 6.
Bottom one is 4.5.

No wrong answers!!! (I’m the dude that would shoot first buck with a rack (1.5’s!!!!!) for many years when I started).
Honesty is impressive thing on this discussion whatever your views. It’s good folks can all discuss where they are in journey, why, their circumstances & views. Diversity of opinions on here & the respectful dialogue & even “respectful debate” is always welcome on here. Like above… OBSESSED… all good dude. I love it!! There’s no “one type of group or view” on here at all. Far from it. I love what u say & what u post. I love it the times we don’t always agree on something…. & folks here are very rationale & “normal”. I about put bleach in my eye balls after looking at Facebook comments. ;).

Any thoughts of any type- welcome.

Thanks Skip. I like these threads. Any more angles of the 4.5? And what your thought on his score is? These "jawbone" threads come up on the other forum where I'm at. One old guy who got booted once said he'd shoot the world record buck even if it had already shed out if it met his age requirement. I have mixed emotions on the jawbone being the main gauge of trophy status debate. No lie, I do like antlers, and the more attractive the better, IMO. It would be rare for me to burn my only buck tag on an 8 yr old boot leather buck with a busted up 105" rack just to say I claimed his jaw. The mascot of this website is a large racked beauty, not a scrubby 7. As is the case with most everyone's profile pics, if they choose a pic. Haven't seen a jawbone yet for a profile. My largest rack to date is under 170" and if I thought the 4.5 in your bottom pic approached that I'd be excited.

Great deer, but Id have to give him the pass... Otherwise Id always wonder what he could have been at 5. To me he's got too much upside to take him at 4 years old. Im guessing him in the mid 60s right now. Id expect him to put more beam length on which is the biggest thing he is lacking.

Yep. Dirt nap for that beautiful specimen.

The ONLY way I'd pass on the shot would be if an even bigger one was waking in on a string, just out of frame.

Good group of folks on here.

Yep. Dirt nap for that beautiful specimen.

The ONLY way I'd pass on the shot would be if an even bigger one was waking in on a string, just out of frame.

Good group of folks on here.
Lemme ask this hypothetical…. If there was a 5-6 year old 180’s in immediate area…. Would u still shoot him?

Both would be big enough to get me excited, so honestly, I'd target the one that gave me the best shot opportunity. If the opportunity was the same, I'd obviously target the bigger / older buck

Depends on your definition of immediate area. If it means I just think or know an older / bigger buck is in the area, but not in sight, I would not hesitate targeting the younger buck pictures above.

All property I hunt has competing hunters on and around it. I don't have the luxury to pursue specific bucks for multiple seasons or even a single season. When opportunity knocks, if I don't answer the door, that's often my only opportunity for that or multiple seasons.

I don't run cameras and don't age deer on the hoof, outside of recognizing a mature buck vs a young buck, but I've only harvested a couple large racked, what I believed to be young bucks. I didn't lose any sleep over them because dead is dead and in the end, I'm a hunter, and I accomplished what I went out to do.

Top Bottom