Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

White proso millet

Daver

PMA Member
Has anyone planted white proso millet before? If so, are there any tips or lessons learned that you can share?

I bought some today from a local seed dealer on a whim...he had a small quantity left over and he knows that I have planted milo, buckwheat, etc, primarily for game birds before so he asked if I would want to try some, etc, and like the sucker that my wife says I am for such offers...I bought his last 30 pounds. :D

From what I know now, I am going to approach it as though I was planting milo...plenty of N, wait a little while yet to get it in the ground and keep it on well drained soils. Part of the reason that I don't want to plant it now is that I have had milo fields mature in late August/early September and then get absolutely MARAUDED by migrating blackbirds in mid-to-late September...leaving little seed for my babies, the local quail and pheasant. :D

So I will plant it when I think the maturity date will be closer to Oct. 1. So I am thinking late June to get it in the ground. I don't have a drill, so I plan on tilling in the N and then cultipacking and then broadcasting at a 20/lbs/acre rate and then cultipacking again.

TIA for any help or advice. I assume the stalks will stand through the winter like milo and provide some winter cover for the birds and rabbits.

Daver, I have planted Pearl Millet and I followed your same instruction outside I planted with my Brillion seeder. I actually mixed it with Milo and Redtop mainly for cover. I did plant early and it got destroyed I think the later planting is the ticket.. Not sure if it helps but that was my results.

Planted some a few years ago as a dove plot. Mostly because the law legalizing dove got passed so late that I didn't think I could get a sunflower plot going in time. I disced, cultipacked, broadcast seeded & packed again. Got plenty enough crop to shoot dove Sept. 1, but there wasn't enough to last as long as you are looking for, so my experience not much help... Planting later may just work. Let us know how it works for you.

Daver, I am looking to plant something other than milo as well. The problem I have had with milo is that once it matures the deer start on it and in 2 weeks there is nothing left for the birds. How did your buckwheat do last year?
Rut

Daver, I am looking to plant something other than milo as well. The problem I have had with milo is that once it matures the deer start on it and in 2 weeks there is nothing left for the birds. How did your buckwheat do last year?
Rut

The buckwheat grew spectacularly, both times I planted it, and in two separate locations each time. In two cases because of where I planted it (close to a road) it was not heavily used by deer or turkey. The other two spots received what I would describe as fair use by deer, but very good use by turkey when it matured. I planted it early (May?) and late(july?) with idea of having a winter plot.

In all cases, the birds, and I mean ALL birds, loved it...as did my neighbors bees. It is truly a bee freaking magnet. So, easy peasy to grow, can't hardly mess it up easy, good for soil building, excellent for birds and the bees...hey now, you know what I mean! :D and pretty inexpensive too.

Does not carry well into late fall/winter though. Pretty fragile plant...not at all like milo, so that is why I am looking for options to get something that helps particularly quail on into the winter. I did plant an acre of buckwheat a couple of weeks ago already with the idea that when it matures probably in July that I will replant for the fall there with something aimed for deer...but in the meantime I will help my neighbors bees, build my soil and give the Turks a dedicated buffet for June and july. I will continue to plant it, but not as a winter plot or a primary deer plot.

Top Bottom