Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whitetail Scoring Question

When scoring a buck for B&C, what is the minimum amount of n.t. antler required to be scored as a nontypical. Is there a minimum? How about a shed antler? When is it considered nontypical?

Just a few questions I want to clarify for a presentation I am making.

Thanks

No minimum, nontypical measurements are added to the score for nontypicals whereas they are subtracted from typicals. The typical portion of the bucks frame is still subject to deductions for lack of symmetry. Score for Typical 170, Non-Typical 195. Determination therefore would be by net score. Example would be a 175 typical framed buck w/ 25 inches of nontypical growth. These nontypical inches would be subtracted from typical to come up with net score. They would be added to nontypical.
I am a fan of gross score.

As far as sheds are concerned...the same thing applies.

They are either entered as a typical set, non-typical set, typical single or non-typical single.

On a single, the abnormal points are added for a non-typical entry and subtracted for a typical entry.

In scoring a matched set of sheds, also subtract the difference between the typical symetry of the two sides, and add or subtract the abnormal point total.

Example of a single...main frame 5 point with two stickers.
The 5 point side has a typical frame of 82 inches. The two abnormal points total 7-3/8 inches. It could be entered as a Non-typical single shed at 89-3/8 or as a typical single shed at 74-5/8.

Minimun Scores for entry at 60 Typical and 70 Non-typical for single antlers.

I too am a fan of gross antler score.
waytogo.gif

Thanks for the input guys! I know the fundamentals of scoring, I really want to know if there is a clear-cut number of abnormal inches that must be present before it is considered a non-typical, similiar to what bh24 said.

As far as I know...there is no minimum number of abnormal inches to be scored as a non-typical.

If it has one abnormal point regardless of length, it could be entered as a non-typical.

I didn't find anything on Boone and Crockett's site that would lead me to believe different.
confused.gif

No minimum number of abmormal points that I am aware of. I even went to the B & C website. No mention of minimum.

I believe ghost is right also. I have heard from official scorers that you need a minimum of 15" for it to be worthwhile to enter as a non-typical in most cases however. Not sure why this would be, but was told that last year at the IL deer classic

Kratz

I researched it also and couldn't find any mention of a minimum score to be considered a non-typical. I was sure that a B&C scorer once told me that a non-typical needed to have at least 10 inches but that was years ago.

I did however find out that Pope and Young will not allow bucks in their record book that were shot with arrows that use Lumi-nok nocks. Was anyone else aware of this??

I contacted the B&C club directly and asked if there was a mimium. Here is there reply:

No. There is not a minimum amount of inches necessary for a trophy to be considered non-typical.

Trophies can show an almost infinite va­riety in number and location of points. The non-typical category was established to properly rec­ognize such trophies. If there are numerous abnormal points, the non-typical score chart should be used so that the additional points can add to the final score, rather than being subtracted from it. If the abnormal points are few in number and short in length(s), use the typical score chart that pro­vides for a subtraction of the total of lengths of such points as a penalty for non-symmetry. If there is any doubt as to which score chart should be used, the trophy can be measured both ways. If the trophy qualifies for both the typical and non-typical categories, it cannot be listed in both. The final choice of the listing category in such instances rests with the trophy owner.

Ghost, Hayseed, and b24. Thanks for the help, you were all right!

Top Bottom