Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whitetails the way of the pheasants

I'm seeing some mature does with 1 or 0 yearlings the last few years making me think they abort them during the hard winter or lose them after born. I haven't found any carcasses in a number of years so aborting them to survive seems possible.

I have also been surprised by not finding many carcasses while shed hunting after the recent hard winters. I dont know the biology of it, but I wonder if Highmark may be right. One morning this year I had a group of 5 adult does come by with no fawns in sight, when is the last time you have seen that? I'm used to seeing orphans walking the timbers, but not groups of old maids.

The DNR simply needs to work harder and do their homework. If they really want 4 deer per square mile, then they need to rethink their strategy because they're going to lose revenue from less tags being sold. I really can't see how they could possibly be pushing for that.

I can tell you right now my Dad and I made the mistake of harvesting way too many does on our Des Moines county farm the last 5-10 years and now are paying the price as far as deer sightings EXCEPT for during the rut. Des Moines county still sets the doe quota at like 2,000 or something like that because of other farms that truly do have an unbalanced herd.

At the same time up at my in law's farm in Jones county, the deer are severely overpopulated but the county quota is only like 1,200 tags. The only place they're over populated is along the river where the timber is thick and deep, which just happens to be where I hunt. The rest of the county is mostly rolling cropground with draws going through the sections. Why not increase the quota along the river corridors where the best habitat is and then limit the harvest where there is less than desirable habitat? The DNR just needs to take more detailed surveys of where the heavy pockets of deer are located within the counties and then rethink their strategy.

Probably will never happen but I can always rant. :D :drink1:

I'm sure I'll take some heat for this and I'm not implying the deer were not used nor not needed to be harvested from those particular areas but man some guys shoot a bunch of deer.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35103

I agree. Any one hunter shooting more than say 10 does a season seems excessive to me. Maybe the DNR should institute a cap on how many tags one person can buy.

If you are giving the meat to family or friends I'll accept that, but dont shoot deer just to donate it to HUSH. Deer are a controlled population, Cows arent, let the hungry eat beef!

I agree. Any one hunter shooting more than say 10 does a season seems excessive to me. Maybe the DNR should institute a cap on how many tags one person can buy.

If you are giving the meat to family or friends I'll accept that, but dont shoot deer just to donate it to HUSH. Deer are a controlled population, Cows arent, let the hungry eat beef!

Problem is, what if that one hunter is hunting several thousand acres? Every scenario is different, which makes the DNR's decision making process tough. The state is so up and down in terms of populations. You can have a farm with low numbers, and drive 10 miles down the road and have a farm loaded with deer.

It's all about access.

The DNR simply needs to work harder and do their homework. If they really want 4 deer per square mile, then they need to rethink their strategy because they're going to lose revenue from less tags being sold. I really can't see how they could possibly be pushing for that.

I can tell you right now my Dad and I made the mistake of harvesting way too many does on our Des Moines county farm the last 5-10 years and now are paying the price as far as deer sightings EXCEPT for during the rut. Des Moines county still sets the doe quota at like 2,000 or something like that because of other farms that truly do have an unbalanced herd.

At the same time up at my in law's farm in Jones county, the deer are severely overpopulated but the county quota is only like 1,200 tags. The only place they're over populated is along the river where the timber is thick and deep, which just happens to be where I hunt. The rest of the county is mostly rolling cropground with draws going through the sections. Why not increase the quota along the river corridors where the best habitat is and then limit the harvest where there is less than desirable habitat? The DNR just needs to take more detailed surveys of where the heavy pockets of deer are located within the counties and then rethink their strategy.

Probably will never happen but I can always rant. :D :drink1:

I agree it would be nice if the quota's were set by say Townships but considering the manpower the DNR has I don't see this as possible.

10! Think if even 25% of hunters harvested 10. We would wipe the herd out like in the early 1900's.

We are moving into (housing developments) deer habitat more than deer are moving into our towns. As we harvest large numbers of these deer the population will inevitably fall. As conservationists we need to take it upon ourselves to help manage the herd both by shooting more and less when and where its needed. We simply cannot ONLY rely on the DNR and how they issue tags.

Last edited:
The DNR promotes the HUSH fund like its the best thing since sliced bread.I personally think it's just a way to make the does slaughter look friendly/kind.Like it's doing something for the hungry.I really don't think there is that many STARVING families in Iowa.This isn't Ethiopia.
I have seen a lot written about some of the places that take HUSH fund deer.It's disgusting.I will never donate a deer to it.If I thought there was a need to donate something I would just donate $100.
There is a lot of deer that get donated that are gut shot and left over night in 60 degree weather or just not found for a couple days and the person that shot it doesn't want to eat it so he just gives it to the HUSH fund.
Its just a ploy.Gives game hogs a reason and a place to get rid of deer they don't want.

Top Bottom