Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Who says there aren't any pheasants around?

bradley

triplebeam
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Photoshop!!!! There are no pheasants in SW Iowa. Don't even bother looking for them there. They are all in South Dakota. That's where everyone should go...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What are those in last pic? Could be some predator birds that ate all the pheasants you thought you had! :)

That swarming hawk pic makes it difficult to imagine there would be any pheasants left in that area. If you've never witnessed it, suffice it to say they are incredibly efficient at killing a pheasant on the fly.

NWBuck

That third picture is amazing? I have never seen so many hawks/whatever they are in one spot, it is rare to see that many together. Cool thanks!

The last picture doesn't look like birds of prey to me...... No curved beaks

I'm no birder, but I'd say it's a group of male/female red winged black birds

darker ones males, lighter ones with speckled chest females.

Looks like your pheasants are safe for another day.

The last picture doesn't look like birds of prey to me...... No curved beaks

I'm no birder, but I'd say it's a group of male/female red winged black birds

darker ones males, lighter ones with speckled chest females.

Looks like your pheasants are safe for another day.

I'm not a birder either, but we have plenty of red winged black birds around here as well, and this is what they look like...

Red winged black birds are no more of a threat to pheasants than a bottle of water, but we also have plenty of hawks like those in the last pic, and I've personally watched them fly over a crp field, screetch until the pheasants get up and fly, and then dive down and knock them out of the air. Trust me...if there was a legal season on these things I'd be the first one lining up to hunt them...

NWBuck

dljpd3.jpg

Here's the female. Definitely looks like the closet bird on the bottom.

They aren't predators..... No curved beaks.

Last edited:
Haha I'm trying to decide if you guys that are saying those are hawks are serious or joking.

I hope your joking :)

Go to a feed lot, lots of "hawk" flocks!

They look bigger than the bird in photo?

Mystery???

What are you using as a reference for your size comparison? I really hope your joking?? If not, look at the first two pictures and then compare those hens to the blackbirds in the picture. No comparison to any hawk I've ever seen. I'm assuming NWBuck is confusing those blackbirds with an American kestrel, which looks similar to any red tail hawk except significantly smaller. However yet again a bird prey and those birds definitely don't hang out in groups of 100, at least that I've ever personally seen.

I kinda think they are some type of regular bird, size of like a starling, black bird, meadow lark or around that size now that I looked better.

What are you using as a reference for your size comparison? I really hope your joking?? If not, look at the first two pictures and then compare those hens to the blackbirds in the picture. No comparison to any hawk I've ever seen. I'm assuming NWBuck is confusing those blackbirds with an American kestrel, which looks similar to any red tail hawk except significantly smaller. However yet again a bird prey and those birds definitely don't hang out in groups of 100, at least that I've ever personally seen.

I have no idea what they are, I'm not joking??

No clue, they look bigger than the small bird posted
I am sure they are not hawks, but keep in mind hawks/birds of prey really vary in size.

What do you think they are...please tell us !!

Last edited:
I have no idea what they are, I'm not joking??

No clue, they look bigger than the small bird posted
I am sure they are not hawks, but keep in mind hawks/birdsf of prey really vary in size.

What do you think they are...please tell us !!

A red winged black bird. Doesn't get much easier to see it from the picture. 100% not a bird of prey, dead give away is the non curvature of the beak as well as the small size. I'm no birder however I am able to see things right in front of my face.

Top Bottom