Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Who's Muzzleloading???

Jethro

Just curious who is muzzleloading late season and if any one is is seeing anything. I've only been out once so far and seen some does. Hunting for bone until closer to the seasons end. I will be hunting all weekend even with the weather going to be warm as what they calling for. But it's like they say "You can't shoot em on the couch" Good luck.

Count me in! I've seen a couple of bucks and mostly does. I'm after a biggun...so if it ain't big I'm whackin' a doe. This years weather is making things a little tough but I love the challenge.
Pupster

I'm going out right now to shoot my CVA to make sure she's still dead on. I'll be hunting tomorrow and will post back what I see. I'm not shooting anything unless it's bigger than 150 class. My wife is sick of me hanging deer in our backyard this year.

I'm going as well. Second Season will give some of us that don't gun hunt the opportunity to harvest another buck with a bow (utilizing the late season muzzleloader tag).

Good Huntin,

I went out last night to scout some areas around my house. I noticed alot of does moving on areas that had not been gun hunted yet, and I saw one small buck. Hope to hit the wood tomorrow and see if I can tag a good one.

I've been out twice. Monday and tuesday. I didn't see anything monday. I mainly sat on field edges, but tuesday I moved in the timber, I kicked up 4 bedded deer as i moved through, but those were the only deer I saw all day. It's getting dissapointing not seeing deer after hunting 7 hours aday! The timber Im hunting got hit hard during shot gun. So hopefully tomorrow will be a different story! I don't care for this warm weather we might get though, it needs to be in the 20 and lots of snow!!
good luck
Jason V

Im going out now.Didnt we used to have snow during deer season though
confused.gif
Good luck to all who are hunting the late season, last night I found a real decent buck about an hour before dark but run outta time, im heading back this morning to find him againand
burst_em8.gif

I did make it out last night after work for about an hour of hunting. At 4:45 i had three does come into the field to feed. Right at dark i had another deer come into the field solo, when he turned i could see his rack against the timberline behind him. It was to dark to tell how big he was. Heading down south this afternoon for a the weekend i'll let you know how it turns out.

I will start hunting ML this weekend, thought I would give them a chance to settle down some after shotgun season, We need some really nasty weather........anyone know a good snow dance? Good luck to all!

I'll be back in the stand with my bow in a few days. I'm currently in sunny, warm Scottsdale AZ and I've seen more snow a couple of hours out of the valley than I have back in Iowa! If you guys would see to it that I'm welcomed back to NW Iowa with about 6 inches of new snow I'd appreciate it
smile.gif
Good luck to all out there.

NWBuck

Just thought id let ya all know i filled my muzzleloader tag this afternoon.Two of us managed to push a buck and 2 does to within about 30 yrds of me, he was nice, not a monster but a real decent 10 pointer with about an 18 inch spread, kinda short on the tines but I was happy with him, when its 60 degrees I suppose you shouldnt be to fussy
smile.gif

Congrats, on your buck Horst. I hunted all weekend and seen three deer. One doe on Saturday (which now i'm thinking i should have shot) and two bucks yesterday. I stand hunted yesterday morning until about 9:30 a.m. and then still hunted back to the house. While hunting back about 100 yards out in front of me i heard crashing and seen two bucks jump up and take off full tilt across the corn field. Went back out last night with my son and didn't seen a darn thing. Oh well i'll stick with it. Other than seeing those three deer things are really slow. How did you other boys do, or is horst the only one that tagged out?

Jethro, Im the only one that fired a shot this weekend.The other guys are still hard at it but the deer are hard to find and even harder to keep track of if you do find one.Saturday the buck I got was the only buck we seen and yesterday we seen some bucks but they were all real small and in a area we didnt know any landowners.The majority of the deer we seen were laying out in beanfields in the open and impossible to sneak up on.Try to drive em and they dissapear.Treestand hunting hasnt been good either due to the deer being out in the open.Felt a lot like Texas here this weekend didnt it, man it was hot, you got sweaty just walking to sit somewhere
flaming.gif

I've been out a few times and seen numerous does but only one scrappy lookin buck. It seems the deer are only moving in the early am and they come out of hiding after dark. I'm still trying to let the deer settle after the shotgun season. It appears snow is on the way but you know how the weather is.

BT

Bagged a nice, fat doe last Thursday up in Emmet Co. near Kossuth Co. line on East fork of the Des Moines. Sighted my rifle in at 11 a.m. just to make sure then headed out. Saw several does in CRP when I got there and worked along north fence line (wind was from SW). Worked through edge of timber and bumped a nice buck bedded down on a sunny hillside. They get hunted hard so he was still running flat out a half-mile later.
I set up on a ridge facing south with my turkey seat leaned against a tree. A lone doe trotted out across the open field and stopped right in front of me at 40 yds. 295 gr. CVA Powerbelt and 100 gr. Pyrodex pellets dropped her like a rock. My hunt was over at 12:30. Field dressed her in shirt sleeves. Definitely not your typical late season hunt.

Sometimes luck is all it takes.

Second time out this late season and sitting with my buddy in an open fenceline between 2 picked cornfields Sunday eve when a big doe and young un came running right up and passed thru the fence within a few feet of us. I whistled and they stopped long enough for me to put a patched round ball in the right place.

She even ran towards the truck
grin.gif

They never knew we were there even as 2 big globs of orange leaning against the fence.

Just getting back with you guys about late ml season. Not much to tell other than i still have not got one yet. Things are pretty slow around my part. I'll give it my best this weekend and let you know. Congats to you guys who have tagged out and good luck to all who are still hunting.

Top Bottom