Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why we should ban food plots

tslc

PMA Member
It seems the people who use minerals have been thrown under the bus in the other thread but I do know if food plot guys are on any higher ground.
Before we, as in Europeans, came to this country any concentrations of big game would have a like concentration of predators that over the course of the year and especially during the winter would quickly take care of the weak and sick. Now we are at the other extreme if the deer has enough energy to get out of its bed and has a food plot by it the deer may live another day, week or year and spread any sickness it has to other deer or poor survival genes to future generations.
Now the only think taking these animals out of the population is hard winters. If there were no food plots these deer would have to rely on browse and what they could dig out of the snow and some of these deer would die. In the areas with too many deer they would disperse or starve.
If we really cared about the herd, we would take out the old and weak not the mature does and bucks with big racks. This could never happen without big predators and that is not going to happen anytime soon in Iowa.
With this being said I do not think banning minerals or food plots is going to make a drop in the bucket difference whether or not TB , CWD or something new coming to Iowa and spreading. There is always going to be boom and bust cycles whether it is game populations, land prices, stock markets or an ice age. There may come a time when we realize how good we have had it the last few years, let’s hope not….TSLC

I think we should ban Deer using the same area. According to the deer population, and the available land, deer should have to use "their" certain area, and not interact with other deer, and certainly not cross into the other deers area, in order to avoid the spreading of a disease that will spread across the deer herd naturally anyways.

I think we should stop using lethal weapons.... I'm all about blow guns and paintballs....

I thought I understood the intent here but then I rethought it and by that time I was so confused I forgot my original thought and how it related to my rethinking so I figured I'd have a beer and recapitulate my thoughts. :drink1:

I think tslc made an excellent point. The natural order has been disrupted. The sick and weak are not taken out. I think predators should be reintroduced. Like they have done in YelloStone and Upper MI. Bring the WOLVES back. The Peta people would be right onboard.Artificial intervention in deer biology has skewed nature. Ban Food plots. That will be next.

I think tslc made an excellent point. The natural order has been disrupted. The sick and weak are not taken out. I think predators should be reintroduced. Like they have done in YelloStone and Upper MI. Bring the WOLVES back. The Peta people would be right onboard.Artificial intervention in deer biology has skewed nature. Ban Food plots. That will be next.

Go talk with the people up in WI that get to deal with wolves....believe me, they're not fun to have around. Unless you enjoy seeing zero deer on the majority of your sits. Its not that they just kill them, its that the deer seem to just move out of the area when there's a pack around.

I'm always surprised to read the claims made about wolves. I've said it before and will say it again, I feel blessed to be able to share the woods I love with one of nature's greatest specimens.

I think the weak and sick are still taken out. The last day of late muzzy our neighbor had a 130s 8pt being chased across the field by 5 coyotes. He claims the buck was running tongue hanging out and the coyotes were simply loping behind him waiting to tire and I am sure they got him.

During late muzzy I shot a doe and didn't her well. I had a coyote intercept the blood trail and he was eating on her when she was still alive when I approached the scene. They are out there doing their part.

We should probably just ban farming then too! Farmers make more food plots than anyone!! Of course there's no way to tell for sure, but I wonder how miniscule the amount of acreage of "food plots" is compared to the acreage of "farm fields". Ya, some food plots concentrate deer, help them through the winter, yada yada yada. How about the farmers who left some corn standing, in small or large amounts, whether by choice or not?

Wolves would be awesome! But do we really have the habitat? Regardless, it will never happen.

Hey,,,I had my tongue in my cheek when I brought up the wolves. The food plots too. Just trying to make a point as to the fact that man already has a tremendous impact on the natural world. Banning this or that is really not going to matter. I like the mystery and romance of wolves too, but I think I like deer hunting more. The ranchers and Outfitters in the western states are not happy about the wolves. They finally got some hunting seasons in some places out there to control their numbers. Animal "Rights", groups were a very strong reason they got introduced in the west. A little known fact. Their reasoning,,,,bring the predators back,,there will be no need for human hunters. They are lobbying hard to stop any wolf hunting or trapping. Even so,,it is hard to hunt a wolf.

While it is certain that an elderly or sick or wounded animal may be easy prey it doesn't follow that healthy animals aren't. Ever watch the "Wild Kingdom?" The sick squirrel is in his nest but his active brother is on the limb playing. Which one does Mr. Owl see? Which one does he eat? Predators are for the large part opportunists. An easy meal won't be passed up. However coyotes and wolves will run relays and run down whatever deer comes by whether it is a buck, doe, healthy or unhealthy. I love watching crocs hunt Wildebeasts. They catch whichever one they can. Was he the slowest? Usually not. The sickest? Usually not. With nature it can really suck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The idea that only sick and elderly deer are targets is a fairy tale. Do cats only eat sick mice? Mountain lions generally eat the deer that happens to walk by their ambush. The predators are unsuccessful in their attacks more often than not. Why? Be cause they are hunting healthy animals. So if we are truly going to be like the predators of nature we should shoot the first deer that comes by. I however have higher standards than a "Yote" present company exculded of course.

maybe they could ban food plots on private land that borders public land. Seems like owners of private land next to large tracts of public land can really monopolize the deer herd with food plots on their land.

Top Bottom