Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why you brush a blind in!!

stp309

PMA Member
This why you brush a blind and get in early. I put up two blinds on saturday and went back Sunday to brush them in . I put this cam over a scrape pointing towards the blind. You can see it in the background. its about 100 yards away. Look at his reaction when he notices it

Click on picture for video

My guess is he probably would have noticed the change even if you would have brushed it in. I'm trying a hay bale blind this year but I'm not sold on hunting deer out of a blind...then again, Larry Zack comes to mind. Maybe the key is to have them in place long enough so the deer get use to them. Great video!

That is one smart deer wearing his own head camo to the field edge. :D Very neat to see his reaction to the changes. :way:

My guess is he probably would have noticed the change even if you would have brushed it in. I'm trying a hay bale blind this year but I'm not sold on hunting deer out of a blind...then again, Larry Zack comes to mind. Maybe the key is to have them in place long enough so the deer get use to them. Great video!

I deer hunt out of a double bull dark horse with great success, matter of fact, its one of my favorite evening places to hunt.

Put it another way,, If you are going to build a brush blind, why put a tent inside???

I never brush mine in, I just stick in on the end of a bunch of hay bales that are in a line, and deer completely ignore me. Now, if you don't have hay bales in a line where you want to hunt, you may not be as lucky.

I never brush mine in, I just stick in on the end of a bunch of hay bales that are in a line, and deer completely ignore me. Now, if you don't have hay bales in a line where you want to hunt, you may not be as lucky.
So Nanny...are you saying that, anything short of this your success rate goes down? I'm just going by the response from deer during turkey hunting.

What kind of blind is it?
Does it have a camo pattern?
Just curious......i can't tell from the vid.
AWESOME VID!

So Nanny...are you saying that, anything short of this your success rate goes down? I'm just going by the response from deer during turkey hunting.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I also hun the edge of a switchgrass/big bluestem field, don't brush the blind in, just pop it up inside the edge of it, and deer don't pay much attention to it, but they are definitly aware of its presence. The times I have failed with a blind is setting up on the field edge or right in the edge of the timber, but I did not brush them in. Seems the deer do not spook, but they will avoid walking within archery range of it. Late season I ML hunted out of one quite frequently on field edges not brushed in, and had deer well within ML range, but would have been a poke for archery equipment.

So in reality, a pop up blind is not the ideal deer hunting tool, but it has definitly been one I've used with alot of success in the past.

I've noticed deer change there patterns when we've put blinds up and seem to stay at least 50 plus yards away from it. Of course, I don't leave them (pop up) up all year as they don't take the weather well. If you are going to blind hunt succesfully with archery gear, I believe it has to be a (semi) permanent establishment.

Turkeys seem to care less...

I use pop up blinds but as nanny does I choose carefully where I put it. I figure if I have to camo a camo blind, I'll just build a brush pile and call it good.
Maybe we need a ghille pop-up, in various shades of camo. Maybe they can make it reversible or a different pattern on each side????

Wow, that's really neat.
I built my own blind and it's been set out since mid-August, I'm the deer are use to it by now. I don't think I would ever buy a pop-up, I've used one that my dad bought and I don't care for it, I just feel like I stick out to much. I sort of just build a brush pile up and stuff it full of grass and sticks and leave a couple small holes to peek out of. Then when a deer gets in range I slowly stand up and my bow just sticks over the top of it. It works perfect, I've had deer literally two feet away from me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom