Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wilderness Buck 2010

huge mn buck

dc:
Since I am a fellow Minnesotan...I have to ask you a couple of questions. I am amazed that you have taken so many nice bucks on public land in MN. This takes skill, expertise and certainly time and effort, congrats!

Questions:

How far off the beaten path are you hunting on public land?

Why did you feel that wolves may have got to this buck, was there not a chance that a hunter may have shot this buck?

Last but not least, are you sitting all day? What times are you seeing the bigger bucks?

That is a very impressive deer and I am really impressed with past success on public land in MN..... Thanks for posting!!

That is a great buck! It takes a tremendous amount of dedication to pass a good 4 year old. It appears that your decision paid off in a big way. Congrats!:way:

dc:
Since I am a fellow Minnesotan...I have to ask you a couple of questions. I am amazed that you have taken so many nice bucks on public land in MN. This takes skill, expertise and certainly time and effort, congrats!

Questions:

How far off the beaten path are you hunting on public land?

Why did you feel that wolves may have got to this buck, was there not a chance that a hunter may have shot this buck?

Last but not least, are you sitting all day? What times are you seeing the bigger bucks?

That is a very impressive deer and I am really impressed with past success on public land in MN..... Thanks for posting!!

I'll try and answer some of your questions.

Im anywhere from 1/2 to 1 3/4 miles from any road or trail at all times depending on where I am sitting. It is public land but I have 4 square miles pretty much to myself, and I sit right in the middle of it.

I had pictures of this buck from late last December after all firearms seasons were closed and maybe a few archers left. When a buck in this are reaches 3 yrs old he's virtually unkillable by traditional means. I was almost positive that nobody took him late archery, and because I hadnt seen hide nor hair of him since last winter, I was sure the wolves had pulled him down.

Yes, I am sitting all day, everyday I hunt. I've killed nost deer in the morning but a few right at last legal light. I guess it can happen at anytime but I have seen the period 2pm thru 4pm to be the slowest.

I killed my first good buck in this area back in 1987. My Grandpa showed me the area in 86. The spot has had a reputation of producing big bucks ever since the 50's. Many an old timer has dragged a buck of a lifetime from this same area. Problem with todays hunters is they are lazy, and they cant get thier fat asses off the ATV's. Im not the only person to be getting good deer from this area. There are a couple other foot hunters using areas just like the one I hunt, and they to are brinning out big deer year after year. No secrets, maybe a few tricks, but mostly alot of hard work and a year around dedication.

big buck

Thank you for the feedback, it really does come down to hard work! (skill and experience helps as well!)

I totally agree with you on all levels, especially the slow time between 2 and 4 pm, I have noticed that as well. I hunt at least one weekend of the gun season in NW Minnesota near the Canadian border and another good time seems to be 9:30 to 11:00 am up there.

It is tough to sit all day, but it is very productive!!! Thanks again.

Top Bottom