Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Will Mange Spread from Dead Coyotes to Live Coyotes?

kelcher

We have some mangey coyotes in our area. Will it spread from dead ones to live one's? They look pretty nasty, I would rather not touch the things if I don't have to.

I think it will. They roll on the carcass and it spreads. At coyote contests around here all the mangy ones are gathered and burned afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don’t wanna be “that guy” …. Actually I kinda do…. ;)….. in a way I want the mangy ones to stick around for a bit longer. Spread it. I don’t like seeing any animal suffer BUT - those dang coyotes are waaaaayyyy out of hand!!!! Need thinned out bad!!!!
I’d like to put one through a woodchipper & spread it around the area!!! :)

I don’t wanna be “that guy” …. Actually I kinda do…. ;)….. in a way I want the mangy ones to stick around for a bit longer. Spread it. I don’t like seeing any animal suffer BUT - those dang coyotes are waaaaayyyy out of hand!!!! Need thinned out bad!!!!

[mention]Matthewfox_45 [/mention] do you want to give Skip your advice on putting dead animals through a wood chipper? Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found a dead raccoon on campus when I was a tree trimmer. It was winter time, I thought it would be a “fun” experiment to see what happens when ran through the chipper. All it did was “rattle around” between the feed wheels and the drum. Really gave me the chance to savor the flavor. Took more steady chipping then I expected to finally get it to run through.

I about brought this up. I had a real mangy yote on camera the other day. I was wondering if letting it live would be the best way to thin them out.

I about brought this up. I had a real mangy yote on camera the other day. I was wondering if letting it live would be the best way to thin them out.
Was crazy to re-read above & see guys burning the mangy ones!!!! I will offer to come collect them “for undeclared reasons”…. Or maybe a guy says they will make them into low cost clothes to donate to homeless shelters?? Just hate seeing animals go to waste!
On a serious note…. That’s ONE of natures signals & methods to deal with overpopulation. & we are way over-populated from a common sense, balance or historical point of view. If u want to make the case- let them explode until the prey animals dwindle - that argument is as flawed as saying “never shoot a deer again”.. or intervene on any issue because “nature will take care of itself”. Boom & bust of nature is not ideal for the animals, habitat or ecosystem. A well managed herd or balanced populations of anything is far superior to natures brutality: starvation, disease or collapse of ecosystems. We are at record coyote populations in many states including iowa & it needs more attention IMO

Top Bottom