Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wind Currents

INative

Hey guys, I have attached a picture of my one of my hunting spots. I am trying to figure out how to set up for the wind. My question is: How does wind flow around creeks that are about 15 feet lower than the surrounding land aka the banks are 15 feet high? If I have a south wind, will my scent go over the creek or will it go down into the creek and up the other bank, or will it go into the creek and stay there? The red line represents the path deer use and the white block is my current stand location. I don't really have many trees to choose from.

Stand.jpg

On a south wind, a quick look tells me that I would add a stand immediately to the north of the one you have. Put your south wind stand right where you show the 90 degree "elbow" on the red line of deer travel.

I like that idea. Seems like the does always cross the creek there in the mornings and bed in the crp about 40 or 50 yards south of my stand. I'm hoping to catch some bucks doggin them like a saw last weekend. For some reason it seems like all the action is just south of my stand. I've sat on both east and west ends of the south crp and all I can do is watch the deer 300 yards out in the middle of the field.

I agree with Daver, you could hunt your current location on a NE wind assuming the deer didn't head directly west once they crossed the creek.

Which way do they tend to feed towards once in the field on your side of the creek?

In the evenings they either meander to a corn field to the east which I can't hunt or they head to the SW and enter the woods right at the lower left of the picture.

Is that a railroad bed in the picture? Without hunting it and judging by what you are saying I would probably walk the rail bed in to the creek and then the creek to the base of my tree with any NE winds.

A Decoy might help bring the action closer to you. Sounds like a great spot! Good luck!

Yeah it's a used railroad. I've walked down it before to get to my stand. It sits up about 25 feet above the surrounding land. That creek is a little too deep to navigate though, especially in the dark. That would be a rude awakening to be walking along at 530 am and fall in a hole head deep! That would be one cold walk back to the truck!

Top Bottom