Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Windy Day Tom

jjohnson

Been having fun tagging along with friends the past few weeks. But it was my turn last night. With 30+ mph winds a buddy and I jumped field to field, farm to farm all afternoon. Finally late last night we had one responding. We thought he could kill it with the bow and I would be backup. This bird saw him draw and fled back over the hill.

On to the next field. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said we walked 5 miles yesterday. So up to the next field. We spotted a tom following 2 hens thru a chiseled field. We setup again but he wasn't leaving his girls. I told Joe I was going after him.

I've fanned several birds the past few years and almost all of them see the fan and come running. Not this year. We are loaded with 2yr olds and they're not so brave. Anyway this bird was pretty jacked up but wouldn't budge. So here I go. 150 yds thru the soupy field. When I got to about 40 yds he decided that was enough and committed. Still a little cautious I dumped him at 20 yds.

He was I'm assuming another 2yr old and made me work. A great hunt and Joe had never seen the fan trick.

Awesome, now I don't feel so bad about going back to the gun. I didn't fan one but I bet it's quite the rush to have them storming in on you. I don't think I could let them get under 20 yards out of fear of getting spurred.

Way to keep at it and find one that worked for ya.

Top Bottom