Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Rye / Clover question for you guys...

stevep

I've got a winter rye / clover question. I've got a field that has overgrown a bit that I'd like to see if I can still get into the rotation this year. It's got some scattered clover, but right now the grass & weeds are way high. The trick is that I'm only going to be able to make one (maybe two, but that's questionable) trips out there to work on it before the season. I'm in central, IL.

So, the question is, what would be the best chance for getting it turned over to a rye / clover plot. Do I mow it, disc it, kill it, if so, in what order, and knowing that I'll only have one to two trips, and it's already Sept. 5.

Thanks!

Steve

U can do any of that combo to be honest. There's risks with your situation but this late, pretty mild (weed competition should be minimal but you are putting weed seed all over).... Disc the daylights out of it for example. mowing and spraying aren't going to hurt, aren't going to help immensely either but maybe a little bit.
What's in your favor is you're planting stuff that thrives now and stays green while all else is about done for the year. Likely, next spring, you'll have semi-weedy rye & clover. Mow and clean it up and probably be fine later. I'd go heavy on seed & fertilizer and take your time to have a nice seed bed and begin the process or having good year's ahead of well managed plots where eventually you'll be well on top of the weeds and it'll get easier. A lot of ways to do this BUT I'd say you'll be fine if done right. I did a similar situation this weekend for a friend.... taller weeds which I hate (hard to kill, wish we killed em long ago, etc) & we even skipped a step.... Absolutely nuked em (best as possible) with Liberty, Round-up, clethodim, crop oil & Ams.... Spread treated urea over it and I drilled in rye, oats, peas, clover, alfalfa & radish. I think it'll turn out ok.

Skip I like the way your thinking. Weeds ain't to bad to deal with. Seems like the soil is always loose under weeds. Grass is another whole different animal.

Top Bottom