Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wisconsin 4th Season

Husker

PMA Member
Finally was able to get my spring season underway this morning with the start of 4th Season. The rain moved thru overnight and when I left the truck at 0420 the sky was dry. I got to my spot and was setup by 0445ish and proceded to wait for the birds to let me know when to start calling. Legal shooting time came at 0522 and I had only heard two gobbles way off down the ridge so my hopes were not real high. I did make a short sequence shortly after hearing them and nothing close but I did have a red fox come sprinting down the hill and running past me at about 10 feet and come to a stop 20 yards down the hill, little fella was looking for a bit of breakfast. I finally had some gobbling somewhat close, worked one bird for 20-25 min but never got a look at him. About 0745 I had two others come within 75-100 yards gobbling at everything I threw at them but they too would not show themselves. After they left I moved up the ridge to the highest spot on the farm and got comfy for a long sit, but wasn't there for too long. I had a bird gobble from back where I started the day at on my second calling sequence, I gave him a courtesy call and he hammered right back and was on his way. I got my first look at him at about 100 yards and put the binocs on him to see he had a nice beard and that I would take him if he came in. He never slowed down and was at 15 yards and had a swarm of #5 hevi-shot heading his way a minute later.
My heaviest bird so far at 23.75 lbs with a 10" beard and a 1" spur on one side the other broke off at 1/2".

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom