Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Woodcock...funny jokes aside

jdg83

PMA Member
This post is totally serious!

While out shed hunting this weekend, I came across what I believe to be a woodcock in the timber. It was just a little bigger than a quail and had about a three inch beak. It also had a small fan sort of like a turkey. It didn't fly right away and I was able to get some decent/good video footage of it. THA4 has a tape and camera, maybe he could post a pic of it off the camera or something...

I did a little research and believe that this is what it was. Has anyone seen one recently? It made my day because I do a lot of upland hunting, but have never run across one of these peculiar looking birds. The joy is in the little things...

I've seen those now and then for sure.

Pretty sure what you saw was a snipe though.

Did it flush when you went all gracefull and flew across the river?

we figured it was either a snipe or a woodcock,
but when we looked at pix of the two birds we are fairly certain it was a Woodcock....

it did eventually flush....

Who knows...
what i do know is this,

both woodcocks and snipe live in the same area, both are distributed across the state, both look very similar and are very closely related. the footage Jonny got and the pix we compared them too made us assume woodcock.

we got a good long look at this thing and feel fairly confident we are accurate

sounds like a woodcock. i shot quite a few of them in michigan 2 years ago, shot AT a ton of them. they are migratory, probably working their way back north. i had a wounded runner, that i had to chase down, and he had his tail fanned out like you describe

I saw several woodcock out shed hunting a couple of weeks ago. They are just a norm to see for me in the spring summer and early fall.

sounds like a woodcock. i shot quite a few of them in michigan 2 years ago, shot AT a ton of them. they are migratory, probably working their way back north. i had a wounded runner, that i had to chase down, and he had his tail fanned out like you describe

Good Lord. I make a sarcastic snipe comment and the whole damn thread stays serious. What's this site coming too anymore?

Seriously, it was probably a woodcock, I've seen a half dozen over the past few years.

you're old and crotchety, no one pays one damn bit of attention to anything you say.

soon you will be regailing us with tales of your 7 mile walks to school, uphill both ways. and in the winter, the drifts were SOO deep that you had to walk on the tops of the fenceposts. go soak your teeth, pops

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good Lord. I make a sarcastic snipe comment and the whole damn thread stays serious. What's this site coming too anymore?

Seriously, it was probably a woodcock, I've seen a half dozen over the past few years. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you're old and crotchety, no one pays one damn bit of attention to anything you say.

soon you will be regailing us with tales of your 7 mile walks to school, uphill both ways. and in the winter, the drifts were SOO deep that you had to walk on the tops of the fenceposts. go soak your teeth, pops </div></div>

At least I know what TSI REALLY stands for.

Sooooo, was it a Snipe or a Woodcock, or do we need somebody like DoubleA to settle this once and for all. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wapsiguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sooooo, was it a Snipe or a Woodcock, or do we need somebody like DoubleA to settle this once and for all. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

oh goodness, you T-ed that up, ill leave that alone

hoofline.gif

A friend and I were shed hunting Friday morning and we kicked up a Woodcock. First one I have seen this year.

When I live in Minnesota for a brief period of time I shot a bunch of them up there. Good eating , and a beautiful bird. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Top Bottom