Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wool outerwear?

I have a notion to get just such a sweet sweater and wear it on my upcoming elk trip and with as straight a face as possible...wear it when we meet our grizzled, mountain man guide and tell him...look, I followed your advice and got some wool...complete with some albino booners! Sniff, where are the elk hiding?

OK good, sounds like ya found the clothing you were looking for. Now, about that "notion" you mentioned. Honestly I can't stop laughing about it...Sniff, ''where are the elk hiding?" :D:D:D

I know I couldn't do it with a straight face! Could you? PLEASE have someone record it if you get a wild hair and decide to do it! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love, or even pay to see that!
Shall we start a fund? Donate all proceeds to the Iowa City Children's Hospital? I'll make the first donation of $10 and buy you the sweater.:)

OK good, sounds like ya found the clothing you were looking for. Now, about that "notion" you mentioned. Honestly I can't stop laughing about it...Sniff, ''where are the elk hiding?" :D:D:D

I know I couldn't do it with a straight face! Could you? PLEASE have someone record it if you get a wild hair and decide to do it! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love, or even pay to see that!
Shall we start a fund? Donate all proceeds to the Iowa City Children's Hospital? I'll make the first donation of $10 and buy you the sweater.:)

You're on...I may not live long enough to make it down off the mountain...but I'll do it! :)

Midwayusa has has some really good sales on their line of camo... I think its probably still going on. I've got some and so far I like it

Me too. I actually went out to the Coralville Scheels this evening, but they didn't have them. So I ordered them online...and the order appears to have taken. Thanks for the tip Bowtech!!

You'll like that stuff. Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, suppose you don't need to see all my miss matched wool?

Just curious if anyone has tried any of the battery heated garments?
I tried a first layer heated vest last year but it was pretty worthless. LYON has got it figured out for the skinny guys like myself. Multiple layers of fleece is pretty good. We seriously have a disadvantage over some of the.....shall we say......"healthier" looking gentlemen. (I won't call out Daver by name this time)
I got a Milwaukee jacket for Christmas a few years back. Cool weather only with a extra battery. I wouldn't use in cold weather. Fit was great. But I ain't skinny.

You'll like that stuff. Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, suppose you don't need to see all my miss matched wool?

No problem, but yes, I took the plunge and ordered that wool last night. It was such a bargain that my wife didn't even get upset about it. :)

Not sure what camo pattern you're going for but scheels discontinued this outfitter series and they are selling cheap. Bibs and jacket can be had for $100 with free shipping.

Had to throw in a pair of gloves to get above $100 for the free shipping, but it's all good. ;)

Had to throw in a pair of gloves to get above $100 for the free shipping, but it's all good. ;)

Completely irrelevant here...but my subtotal was $99.98 with the bibs and the jacket and I got free shipping Randy. :) With sales tax of an even $6.00, my total was $105.98.

But you were smarter than I to also get the gloves!

Completely irrelevant here...but my subtotal was $99.98 with the bibs and the jacket and I got free shipping Randy. :) With sales tax of an even $6.00, my total was $105.98.

But you were smarter than I to also get the gloves!

That was my invoice too, but it tried charging me $14 for shipping, so I added the gloves, which were almost free when they took the shipping charges off. I figured they didn't count tax towards the $100 purchase threshold.

So for a short time, I will have a true pair of gloves instead of 3 sets of mismatches. :D

Just curious if anyone has tried any of the battery heated garments?
I tried a first layer heated vest last year but it was pretty worthless. LYON has got it figured out for the skinny guys like myself. Multiple layers of fleece is pretty good. We seriously have a disadvantage over some of the.....shall we say......"healthier" looking gentlemen. (I won't call out Daver by name this time)

I bought a couple of heated fleece vests at the Cabela's bargain cave. They work pretty well. I do think the key is getting the heat inside your insulating layers which is why I wear the vest over my shirt then an outside layer over that to hold the heat in.

I also have the Wooltimate pants and jacket. It's good stuff and can be gotten for very good prices if you watch the Cabela's sales. It blocks the wind well with the windstopper layer but it does attract a lot of burrs so I never wear it in I carry it in and put on at t he base of my tree. This is where the pants could be better if they had a thigh high zipper. Overall it's a bit heavy too.

My new favorite is the Sitka Fanatic line, nice and warm, blocks wind, built in hand muff, good pockets, full length zipper for putting on over boots, etc, etc. They are pricey but I bought mine all online for a little over 40% off total so it wasn't terrible. Well worth it in my opinion.

I have the Cabela's wooltimate full zip and the Berber pullover and bibs. Love the bibs. Love the wooltimate jacket. All are heavy. Like the jacket better than the pullover.

full

Bam! New wool camo in the house. :) (Wapsi, sir...I don't really need any commentary about how "healthy" I look! I am still trying to recover from your previous hurtful comments! :))

But a quick review of these articles indicate that they are of a very nice quality...WELL worth what I paid for them. The only minor thing to me is if this camo pattern may have too much "white" in it. It looks darker in this picture than what I see it as. I think it would be fine in a treestand, I am considering a home modification to darken up the white patches with a brown/green/black hand applied dye or something.

Reactions: arm
Looks great! I ordered a set as well! I doubt it has too much white in it, especially for a treestand. I don't think we give enough credit for how light it is when looking up through the branches. Especially after the leaves have fallen. Many many guys wear the fall gray predator camo and swear by it.

Looks great! I ordered a set as well! I doubt it has too much white in it, especially for a treestand. I don't think we give enough credit for how light it is when looking up through the branches. Especially after the leaves have fallen. Many many guys wear the fall gray predator camo and swear by it.

I was not clear enough...I think the pattern will be just fine for treestand hunting. I am wondering though how it will be when I am in the Rocky Mountains in a week hunting elks. :) Should it be darker for that environment or is it no big deal?

I was not clear enough...I think the pattern will be just fine for treestand hunting. I am wondering though how it will be when I am in the Rocky Mountains in a week hunting elks. :) Should it be darker for that environment or is it no big deal?

Got it! And I have no answer for you :) Haha. How's that?

I think you’ll be just fine. Way better to be a little light than too dark! I think that the importance of camo patterns is pretty much overrated by companies selling them anyway, at least for hunting mammals. Don’t get winded and don’t move when the critter is looking at you. Best of luck elk hunting!

I ordered a set as well. I think the color scheme will be fine for your elk hunt. Depending where you are headed you might be wishing it had more white in it!

• Deleted by Wapsi Tree Rat
Show…
Well Daver, been crazy busy last 5 days. Sorry I haven't been around for you as I know I am the emotional rock you have learned to lean on for support :rolleyes:....................hahahahahahahahahaha! I must say the camo and the kitchen look really good! They both look so clean and new. :D
However, I was very disappointed to read that you missed the deer of your dreams the other day. Keep your chin up there pal, you'll get a shot at another doe. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom