Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would you support an antlerless only season?

blake

Life Member
FYI: Your vote in this poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those iowawhitetail.com members who have chosen to participate. The results of this poll cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of all iowawhitetail.com users in general, nor the public as a whole. :)

The idea for the following poll was submitted by nannyslayer:

“I am extremely curious on who would be in favor of a 1 year break on shooting bucks, if the state of Iowa would do that.

I just am wondering who would be for it or against it.

One year of not shooting any bucks, antlerless only I believe would greatly increase the size and amount of bucks that you see while out hunting.”

Thanks for the poll idea Brian; let’s see what our IW members have to say. Let us know what you think please.

Food for thought:

I don’t know any deer hunters that don’t like to see mature bucks when hunting.

I would agree that by harvesting antlerless deer only for one year there SHOULD BE more mature bucks the following season.

However, I wonder how many guys would hunt if they couldn’t legally harvest a buck?

Would poaching become a bigger problem than it all ready is?

Would having more mature bucks increase the pressure on the powers to be for more non-resident deer tags when they opened the season back up for bucks?

Would having more mature bucks mean an increase in displaced resident hunters through acquisition of hunting property by non resident and resident deer hunters?

Would we see more leasing by non-residents and residents?

Would there be an increase in non regulated outfitters and high fence operations?

Would there be an increase in the number of landowners charging a trespass fee to hunt deer?

Then let us not forget that there are a number of IW members that believe the deer numbers are already way to low in areas they hunt.

I would like to think that we all get out there and have a lot of fun harvesting antlerless deer and lower the population to a level that was tolerable for deer hunters, and the non hunting population in Iowa?

Just some thoughts I have. :)

In theory, I can see the pluses to this proposal.

In practice?

If the taxidermists don't have a lobbyist, they will! Probably would be cheaper for them to align with the FB or Ins Industry than get their own. :eek:

I'm afraid the DNR would take a huge financial hit, as license sales might collapse. Only die hard deer hunters would be afield. I think many doe kills are a "bonus" to someone buck hunting. I might be surprised, though. I know of some groups who go afield to fill tags, but also know of other parties that only shoot bucks.

It would kill nonresident hunting (and the coveted "tourism" money). Again, the fear of the loss of the almighty dollar would stall this proposal.

Plus side is that busting poachers might be easier for the CO as NOBODY should have a buck in their possession.

I don't see this happening....

I haven't voted yet.

I think it would be interesting to see. Don't think it will happen though. I would really like to see what happens the year after. I would probaly hunt less but would still hunt. I haven't seen that many does this year but there might be allot of reasons for that other than low numbers. I don't plan on getting as many antlerless tags next year maybe 2-3 instead of 6-8. That also depends on what we see during shotgun season this weekend.
I could do without a buck tag for a year though.
How about one buck per year instead of two instead of going with no bucks for one year.
I like the earn a buck like what Wisconsin does I think. Specially in the extreme overpopulated areas. If you did that for each season I think that would also help out allot specially for the shotgun seasons.

personally id have no problem taking a year off of shooting bucks. however, how about one buck tag guaranteed, and earn the second buck. one of those tags has to be a bow tag tho.

make it 2 yrs and we might end up with a new world record in the typical and non typical catagory.
i work for a taxidermist but i still would go for it.

I believe implementing antler restrictions or a one buck limit would be a better option for growing bigger deer. Maybe even a lottery system for antlered tags during gun season instead of guaranteed buck tags for everyone.

Obviously this isn't neccecary in many parts of the state including mine since we dont even have extra antlerless tags available to buy. I think taking a couple of years off of buck hunting would make mature bucks common to the point that they would lose some appeal. Who's gonna call their buddy all excited about the 150 they just put down when every hunter in the state has one just as big or bigger.

Certainly you would see more and bigger bucks the following year, but I wonder if the extra button bucks that would be killed might offset that over the next few years.

No way! I am an admitted out of the closet trophy hunter. A year off will have more trophy deer out there for all of us, no doubt about that. However, not all hunters are trophy hunters. I don't want to restrict them. I don't even want to put a minimum on antler points (8 points or bigger). Shoot what you want. Manage your property however you want. Get a cooperative or let your neighbors manage their property however they want.

I go buck-less sometimes anyway as I buck hunt late muzz and sometimes simply don't see any shooter bucks.
I would have no prolem with a doe only year. I think it would be easier for the DNR to limit everyone to one buck only.

As of Jan 2, 2009 Button Bucks (13,158) made up 11% of the total deer harvested (122,428) and 21% of the Total Bucks Harvested (61,288).
https://hfwa.centraltechnology.net/iowadnr/harvestdata/realTimeHarvest.do

I shot a button buck during second season shotgun and my buddy shot one during muzzy, I also found another one dead shot in the ass and half eaten that some hunter didn't find. I try to pick the yearling does, but I can't tell the difference between them and the button bucks. I like the yearling deer because they are tender, and shoting a doe will not reduce the herd as much as shooting an older doe. I only want to shoot does.

If there was a way to make sure less button bucks got shot, the buck population should go up. Maybe DNR could set up a program with volunteer hunters to dart and mark them somehow. I don't know how difficult that would be or if the markings could be made in a way that would not be seen by preditors.

No. But I can see making a regulation that states you can only shoot a 4 by 4 or bigger. Or having an earn a buck regulation. Where you have to shoot a doe before shooting a buck

no i don't like the idea,yes more big bucks,but what if you got in an accident & died or something you missed your last chance at shooting a buck with a bow.

Top Bottom