Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wounded- need help

Take a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide and put into a larger spray bottle. Then get on the last place you found the blood. Trail it at night and the blood will show up. It should give you a good idea to which direction he was heading.

My condolences.

If it helps any, here's a picture of the deer I shot the day before Thanksgiving last year. I don't know for sure where I hit him, but the way he ran off I was sure he wouldn't go far. Turns out I was wrong. I had good blood until he got into a tall grass field on a neighbor's property, and I lost him. I'm still sick about it.

DSC_00102.jpg

Thank God for next season!

deer

Dave: I have seen that same blood trail before and the deer made it, hard to believe but it is possible your big buck is alive. I went to a seminar once on this topic and the speaker stated that a deer has x amount of blood and it can lose x amount before he/she becomes weak and dies. I don't remember the exact numbers but it is a lot. Anyone on this site have the figures, it is quite amazing actually...

Good luck, I hope you have a happy ending!

My buddy is 'pretty sure' he saw Thumper this morning across the section from where I shot him. The fact that it was less than a mile away and that there isn't an abundance of deer of this caliber running around makes me somewhat optimistic.

Best part is that he just got permission to hunt on that property last night. Hopefully he sticks around long enough so he at least gets a good look at him and better yet, gets to harvest him!
I hope, I hope, I hope!!

That's great news. I had the same thing happen to me last bow season, and I think anyone who has hunted for any length of time has had a similar experience. I hit a decent buck, not the buck of a lifetime, but a good buck, last year with probably the best blood trail I have ever seen, for about 200 yards and then it just stopped. Five of us looked for a whole day in country not near as thick as what you described with no luck. A week later I saw the buck with a slight limp on the side I shot him. He is probably still alive this year. I am betting it was a brisket hit as others have said. Deer are tough, very tough. I hope you get a second chance. You deserve it with the amount of work you put in looking for him.

ditto to everyone else. Anytime I've hit a deer with a M/L sabot it never opens up. I've shot deer with SST sabots from M/L's and shotguns and many times ive watched the impact, watched the deer run and collapse, but when i go to the impact point, theres little or no blood until i get right up to the animal. yeah the SST's are accurate, but they don't open up worth a damn

ditto to everyone else. Anytime I've hit a deer with a M/L sabot it never opens up. I've shot deer with SST sabots from M/L's and shotguns and many times ive watched the impact, watched the deer run and collapse, but when i go to the impact point, theres little or no blood until i get right up to the animal. yeah the SST's are accurate, but they don't open up worth a damn

Start shooting Barnes sabots. I've shot the MZ expanders, TMZ's, original Barnes, and assorted others with 100% success. They truly are the real deal.

Dave, glad to hear the buck is alive still. Maybe you'll get another shot at him!! Good luck!

Top Bottom