Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

WTB: Tracked Skid Loader

deerdown

Anyone have a tracked loader they're thinking of selling?

70-90hp Kubota,NH, Bobcat, JD, Case, CAT

Give me a shout. Thx

Go 74hp if it’s not a huge difference- then u get away from DEF!!!!!
I have to think equipment sales are slowing & getting back to “reality”. Wonder if that’s the case?

Go 74hp if it’s not a huge difference- then u get away from DEF!!!!!
I have to think equipment sales are slowing & getting back to “reality”. Wonder if that’s the case?
Hope so, it'll hopefully bring the used market down with it!
Edit: I see the Deere dealers having quite a bit of new inventory these days (tractors anyway), Case and Kubota as well

Has DEF been a big problem in the real world scenario? I read some older Kubota's had DEF issues, are there others?

Last edited:

Has DEF been a big problem in the real world scenario? I read some older Kubota's had DEF issues, are there others?
DEF is always a problem eventually. Unless you need a 100 HP machine, stick to 74. The manufacturers play games with the HP to avoid DEF. CAT for example lists the 259, 265, 279, and 289 ALL at 74.9 HP. All to avoid DEF. If you look at the specs on those models they have very different capabilities, yet at all listed at three same HP

Last edited:
DEF is always a problem eventually. Unless you need a 100 HP machine, stick to 74. The manufacturers play games with the HP to avoid DEF. CAT for example lists the 259, 265, 279, and 289 ALL at 74.9 HP. All to avoid DEF. If you look at the specs on those models they have very different capabilities, yet at all listed at three same HP
Part of the problem - I'm not sure what I need for HP exactly. Have quite a few trees to pull, and some terraces blown out that I need to fix. Biggest trees are 8-12" that I'd pull. I mean, I have bigger but probably just chainsaw those down.

I am very new to skid loaders and what size for they can do.

I bought a 74.9 Hp Case Tracked SkidLoader a few years ago and couldn't be happier.
No DEF is a plus and it seems to have plenty of power for what i need to do and i use Hydraulic brush mower on the front of it a lot.
I looked at used and most i found had tons of hours on them and the savings was not great vs New so just got a new one with warranty.

Part of the problem - I'm not sure what I need for HP exactly. Have quite a few trees to pull, and some terraces blown out that I need to fix. Biggest trees are 8-12" that I'd pull. I mean, I have bigger but probably just chainsaw those down.

I am very new to skid loaders and what size for they can do.
I do everything I need to with ASV RT75. Including running a 60" disc mulcher

I bought a 74.9 Hp Case Tracked SkidLoader a few years ago and couldn't be happier.
No DEF is a plus and it seems to have plenty of power for what i need to do and i use Hydraulic brush mower on the front of it a lot.
I looked at used and most i found had tons of hours on them and the savings was not great vs New so just got a new one with warranty.
I looked at a 2017 Case TR270, a 2016 CAT 299D and a 2019 John Deere 317G today. The CAT is out based on price alone.... $79k with over 2k hours.

The Case was really jerky travelling, the 317G ran like buttah', really smooth, for $64k I'd expect it to. The Case is coming up on auction. Used in a tree nursery.

Did you have any warranty work or repairs done on your Case? @GUNRNR

I looked at a 2017 Case TR270, a 2016 CAT 299D and a 2019 John Deere 317G today. The CAT is out based on price alone.... $79k with over 2k hours.

The Case was really jerky travelling, the 317G ran like buttah', really smooth, for $64k I'd expect it to. The Case is coming up on auction. Used in a tree nursery.

Did you have any warranty work done on your Case? @GUNRNR
Never a single thing ever went wrong with it in the three years I've had it - never been back to their shop once

I got the TR310B after a ton of research - best price was the local Titan Implement dealer here in Pella
2024-03-07 14.40.12.jpg

Did you have any warranty work or repairs e on your Case? @GUNRNR
If you like the 317G Deere I can see if I have anything. Let me know what your price guidelines are. Feel free to call/text anytime. 641-640-1965. Depending on where you live service is often the number one factor in determining which skid to purchase. Running a skid like you intent to you should be fine going whichever way. It's the guys that use and abuse them everyday where service matters most. If using it on a hobby farm on weekends you should run into far less issues.

Edit: I see the Deere dealers having quite a bit of new inventory these days (tractors anyway), Case and Kubota as well

Oh gosh- I’ve fought def on countless machines. The ONLY machine I’ve never had DEF issues on is Cat tractor. Literally every other machine - nightmare. Skid steers, tractors, vehicles, u name it - they all give me grief. Bobcat for example was a Frigin nightmare on their emissions junk!

One of reasons I quit buying Deere tractors - I had so many emissions issues. Other big one.. all the parts on them were stamped “made in: CHINA, INDIA, TURKEY, MEXICO, etc etc”. I finally was like “this is not the Deere of 20 years ago” as they gave me way more grief than machines of the past. Not to say other brands don’t have same issues but I saw major changes with Deere that I wish I hadn’t. I am very color blind now on which brand I’ll buy. It’ll be a never ending quest as to who is making good quality stuff & which models are solid.
Love the old Deere stuff of 2000-2012 or so.
Curious how their new 335G skid steer turns out.

Ya- anyone - if u have stuff with DPF & DEF - yikers!!! Some brands worse than others I suppose. The folks who will tell u it’s not an issue: salesman. That’s about it IMHO ;)

I will give some insight on DEF and issues. I am a 15+ year JD technician who is now a Service Manager. I have been with DEF since Deeres inception many moons ago.

Has there been some growing pains with DEF and its use in Ag equipment, Sure. Are these issues that were derived from the manufacturer, some but very little.

DEF quality is #1 factor to issues in equipment. Most people buy the cheapest DEF and use it, DONT DO THAT! There is a difference of how it is made by different companies. Using a good quality DEF will take care of most issues we see.

#2 factor for issues is cleanliness. You wouldn't allow dirt and debris to get into your fuel tank would you? So taking a few extra seconds to make sure nothing gets into your DEF can make the difference as well. On equipment we things like DEF pumps, DEF injectors, DEF lines, DEF Headers; and all of these can failed if they get plugged with dirt.

#3 is use. Our new engines have extremely high emissions standards now. Our engines need to burn at pretty crazy temps to burn the "carbon" out of them. Letting a machine idle for half its life or never working the engine are great ways to have emissions problems. These engines are made to burn! They are made to work, not pussy foot around all day.

I can tell you from first hand experience we have come a long ways in the DEF game. Is it perfect, nope. But can you own a machine with DEF and have little to no issues, Absolutely.

I talked to a guy who pulled trees with a skidloader and he said his buddy had a tracked one, but since he didn't have a heated shed, he opted for tires on his skidloader. Said if mud gets in the track and freezes, big problem. Can anybody confirm or refute that?

I talked to a guy who pulled trees with a skidloader and he said his buddy had a tracked one, but since he didn't have a heated shed, he opted for tires on his skidloader. Said if mud gets in the track and freezes, big problem. Can anybody confirm or refute that?
I have heard similar.

Definitely a problem getting soupy, sloppy mud and freezing your tracks. Found that out the hard way in the construction trade. Clean the tracks and get a concrete blanket to wrap the machine in doubt. Biggest problem is people abuse the tracks and don't get cheap ones to replace. Tight, hard constant turns and abuse wears out quick compared to radial, arching turns. I take care of my machine at work and stuff lasts, not so much for other crews.

How often is tracks coming off an issue?

Only guy I know that has a tracked skid steer loses them every once in a while. Could be operator error..

I got the TR310B after a ton of research - best price was the local Titan Implement dealer here in Pella
View attachment 127101
Had one at work several years ago that just outside of warranty (years, was under on hours) the spool valve went out. Heard that was a common issue from the tech. Was not a cheap fix.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

How big of trees can you take out with that brush mower ?

Top Bottom