Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wyoming Speed Goat Trip

Horn Hunter

After over a year of planning the day was finally here. Me, my son, and 5 friends headed to Wyoming on the morning of August 13 to chase some speed goats. We drove to Cheyenne on Tuesday and then drove up to Douglas on Wednesday.

We picked up a few things in Douglas and met up with our guide. We were hunting with Lee Moore at the Moore Ranch. After getting to the ranch we unpacked and shot our bows to make sure everything was still on. Then we drew for the blinds that we would be setting in the next morning.

After getting the blinds picked we headed out for a tour of the ranch and to see some antelope. We were not disappointed as we saw lots of antelope and the parts of the ranch that we saw were awesome.

Unfortunately there had been a big storm a day or so before we got there so there was some standing water. Our guide said that the hunting would be tough but we were more than ready.

The first day ended up being great day as 4 guys tagged out. I however, was not one of the lucky ones so I would be getting up early again the next day. The second day was not quite as good but it was great for me as I tagged out on a real nice antelope.

We ended up having 5 of the 7 guys tag out but all 7 of us did have an opportunity. All in all it was a great trip and we can't wait to go back.

The cabin

picture.php

Chad's Speed Goat

picture.php

Scott's Goat

picture.php

Scott & Chad's on the well

picture.php

All five

picture.php

I loved hunting speed goats in WY. Awesome that all 7 got opportunities and congrats to the 5 successful hunters. I went out in 2012 for a DIY rifle hunt. We hunted 4 days and camped all 3 nights. Had a blast!

Congrats! Sounds like a great trip for everyone. Neat character on the one buck and like that tank pic.

I'm headed that direction myself in 35 days for a DIY hunt. Antelope sure are fun to hunt especially in WY where there always seems to be another one over the next hill.

All 5 are great goats, but Chads is very cool. I'm gonna be hunting goats north of Gillette 1 month from today.

Congrats!! I am so jealous. I have gone the past 3 years and will not make it this year. It is killing me!! I have always wanted to try Wyoming but it has been very overwhelming trying to figure out where to go as I plan on a DIY.

Liv, the unit we go to only has a few smaller
BLM areas and school sections so there is almost nobody else bowhunting anywhere. You never know when a B&C antelope or mulie will come to the alfalfa and wheat from the private ranches. The areas south of Gillette with a lot of public, are usually crowded, plus lots of bird hunters.

Liv, the unit we go to only has a few smaller
BLM areas and school sections so there is almost nobody else bowhunting anywhere. You never know when a B&C antelope or mulie will come to the alfalfa and wheat from the private ranches. The areas south of Gillette with a lot of public, are usually crowded, plus lots of bird hunters.

Sounds like you have it figured out for sure. That sounds perfect!! I drove through wyoming once on my way to Idaho elk hunting and I could not believe the amount of goats. Definitely on the to do list!

Great trip and well done. Got to love hunting out west! First Harvest report of the year, gets everyone pumped for the upcoming months :way:

Top Bottom