Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yepsen's article

I read it, and thought it was pretty funny. Everyone else in the room at the time I read it, who were all nonhunters, thought he had a great article. It was kind of hard to explain how it was pretty much the dumbest article I ever read. But after thinking about it, I bet most nonhunters would think it is a great idea
confused.gif

What a frickin moron, i should try to get a job at that paper, i am pretty good at not making sense of things
crazy.gif

By the reading, you Iowans need input on this, they say they "control" the herd, "they" probable don't hunt. Over run this idiot and his padres, and shut him up... To bring rifles in woukld be devistating as your seasons are already long enough.

There they go about the NR thing again as well. Sounds like Iowa needs a QDM guy for president of board... Your right they are clueless.

I about shat when I read that! I sent him a very nice long email trying to understand what his thinking is! I know they are very democratic, but obviously they are backed by the insurance industry also!
Unbelievable

Ya i agree with you there that guy has no clue what he is talking about and to bring in a rifle season are you kidding me has this guy seen the terrain here or not. only thing I agree with him on is letting people kill more deer inside the city limits

Renobber

What an uninformed non-hunter. A good example of why I do not read the Opinion section of any paper. Far left (and far right) individuals really enjoy their soapbox. I really dislike people like that.

I sent a reply to Mr. Yepson and here are the highlights (softened up ALOT to protect the innocent membership of this site):

(1) Really dangerous suggestions. Is the reduction in the deer herd really worth the number of hunter injuries which would result from his aggressive suggestions related to firearm options (namely rifles). Killing some kid on a farmstead on the other side of a section is not really worth it.

(2) I don't agree that the NR license level is a major population control tool. I personally believe that increased NR license levels will contribute to a concentration in land by fewer hunters which I also believe contributes to less deer killed per square mile. No offense to the NR hunters out there I just think I would do the same if I were a NR hunter who could afford to buy or lease land in Iowa.

(3) Why doesn't anyone ask the insurance industry to help fund the issue which is supposedly costing them so much money. I think HUSH should be statewide and the insurance industry should help pay the bill to get that program statewide.

(4) Certain areas of the state have seen a decrease in deer herd levels. This is not a statewide problem.

60 MILLION from the insurace companies for damage caused by deer? That is 60 MILLION dollars SPENT IN IOWA! Minus of course our deductables etc. But that is 60 MILLION they are trying to take away from our economy.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Really dangerous suggestions. Is the reduction in the deer herd really worth the number of hunter injuries which would result from his aggressive suggestions related to firearm options (namely rifles). Killing some kid on a farmstead on the other side of a section is not really worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brent:
I think I understand what you meant by this statement, but if handled in a responsible manner, a centerfire rifle is no more deadly that a shotgun, muzzleloader, or bow. All weapons can kill a person if misused. Granted, a rifle has a longer range, and in the hands of someone who cannot take shots responsibly or think about what is beyond their target before squeezing the trigger, it is a dangerous weapon.

I rifle hunt in one of the most populous counties in Nebraska, and to my knowledge we've never had a stray bullet fatality in the county or elsewhere in the state. That's not to say that we don't have our share of idiots here who shouldn't be allowed to handle a rifle...

Guns themselves don't kill people but irresponsible gun users put us all at risk regardless of what weapon they are carrying.

I have emailed back and forth with Mr. Yepsen today. He truley has no clue. Everyone keep emailing him with your thoughts. One of these days the Register has to get the point!

it's reading articles like this that just goes to prove that most "non-hunters" have no clue about us hunters(what we do, who we are and what we stand for) and although we do what we can to see their point of views they could really careless about ours. they would rather jump the gun and write articles such as this instead.

Now that article irritates me! This guy has demonstrated unbelievable ignorance.

One question keeps bothering me: Is Iowa the only state that has a high deer population (perceived or otherwise)? Don't several of the surrounding states have rifle seasons, liberal NR licensing, etc. but still have high deer numbers?

If the insurance agencies have so much heartache with the $60M in claims they have to pay, why are they fighting the idea of funding the HUSH program for a couple hundred thousand? I'd triple my doe harvest if I had a place for the excess meat.

OK, I guess more than one question was bothering me...

Fletch

NW,

Points well taken. However I got the feeling that this bonehead writer felt that everyone should have the flexibility to hunt whenever they want. I would not care to be in a treestand during bow season with anyone out there carrying a firearm. I do not believe that rifles in my part of the state of Iowa are a good idea. Iowa's tradition of party hunting and deer drives combined with rifles - I don't know but it does not sound good to me. Too much flat country.

How's the bow shooting going during the off season ??

Reasoning like Yepsen's means we really need to do something about obese people, and smokers, and people that don't buckle up, and so forth- anything that costs insurance companies money and increases the costs for all of us. Maybe we should restrict speed limits in high deer areas, outlaw junk food and cigarettes to improve the bottom line for insurance companies. I'm sure once we get these deer numbers inline my premiums will go down.

Careful there pharmer you're sounding kind of conservative.
grin.gif
I have exchanged emails with Yepsen a couple time today and I hope he is considering some other views. He sure sounds out of controll in his article, his reply to my email was very civil.

[ QUOTE ]
NW,

Points well taken. However I got the feeling that this bonehead writer felt that everyone should have the flexibility to hunt whenever they want. I would not care to be in a treestand during bow season with anyone out there carrying a firearm. I do not believe that rifles in my part of the state of Iowa are a good idea. Iowa's tradition of party hunting and deer drives combined with rifles - I don't know but it does not sound good to me. Too much flat country.

How's the bow shooting going during the off season ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, Brent. I overlooked the idea of party hunting (I tend to forget about it since it is illegal in Nebraska). That definitely could present some problems in the hands of careless party hunters.

As for the archery, it is going very well and I'm learning lots. My second night of shooting ever I got a robinhood. I joined the local archery club and have been shooting in their target league on Tuesday nights, and that has done wonders for helping me learn. Been at it a little over two weeks now and I'm shooting X's at 20 yards (although not 100% of the time
grin.gif
) Oh well, you can't expect target bow grouping perfection when shooting an 20-year-old hunting bow with whisker biscuit rest.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom