Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your First Deer?

TheMadCatter

Just curious to see YOUR first Deer!

Shot January 2008 January Antlerless.

picture.php

I don't have any pics but mine was a little spike I shot with my dad during shotgun season. One of the many high points in my life. Been addicted to deer hunting ever since.

My first deer was an 8pt, the biggest deer I've actually shot to date. But the story is even better. We we're hunting a place in southern Iowa, the buck just came trotting along about 100 yds away, I have a 20ga 870Mag that I still shoot, but I had that thing loaded with I think 5 shells. I unloaded every shell in the gun, hit the buck once, right below his eye. Must have made him blind in that eye because he started running around in circles, after another 5 shells completely missed him, reloaded again, 3 shots later, hes laying on the ground. It's not a B&C or P&Y trophy, but it was in my eyes. We finished gutting it, started dragging it up the hill, and there was a button buck just staring at us. He's no longer with us either lol. :drink2:

Last edited:
hawkjosh22 said:
My first deer was an 8pt, the biggest deer I've actually shot to date. But the story is even better. We we're hunting a place in southern Iowa, the buck just came trotting along about 100 yds away, I have a 20ga 870Mag that I still shoot, but I had that thing loaded with I think 5 shells. I unloaded every shell in the gun, hit the buck once, right below his eye. Must have made him blind in that eye because he started running around in circles, after another 5 shells completely missed him, reloaded again, 3 shots later, hes laying on the ground. It's not a B&C of P&Y trophy, but it was in my eyes. We finished gutting it, started dragging it up the hill, and there was a button buck just staring at us. He's no longer with us either lol. :drink2:

Thats funny right ther! ;)

arrow flinger

No pics of mine. Late Muzzy season 13 years ago (I think). My brother and dad pushed a little timber towards me and one lone button buck came flying out right past me (like 10 yards). I had a scope on my gun so I aimed the gun right in front of where the deer was running and as soon as I saw it in the scope I pulled the trigger. It was moving fast enough that I hit it way back, it ran about 50 yards and went down. Being a tender-hearted teenager, I didn't want to see it suffer, but I also didn't want to reload my muzzy to shoot it again. So I did the next best thing, found the biggest nearby stick I could find and hit it on the head!

No first deer pic but I did see this pic of you Teenage. You even have a doll out. Micheal Waldell ain't got sheet on you.:grin::grin:
5293-stopthepresses-435937057-1318017935.jpg

Last edited:
No pics of mine. Late Muzzy season 13 years ago (I think). My brother and dad pushed a little timber towards me and one lone button buck came flying out right past me (like 10 yards). I had a scope on my gun so I aimed the gun right in front of where the deer was running and as soon as I saw it in the scope I pulled the trigger. It was moving fast enough that I hit it way back, it ran about 50 yards and went down. Being a tender-hearted teenager, I didn't want to see it suffer, but I also didn't want to reload my muzzy to shoot it again. So I did the next best thing, found the biggest nearby stick I could find and hit it on the head!

HA HA I can just see that going down!

blakesburg said:
No first deer pic but I did see this pic of you Teenage. You even have a doll out. Micheal Waldell ain't got sheet on you.

Well someones a funny man! Ohahah...

Edit: They should remove that picture, it's kind of graphic!

Last edited:
I guess mine would have been the final day of first shotgun in 2003. Shot a doe at about 40 yards. Not picture worthy since I hit her straight on basically right between the eyes.

Sent from my Android using IW

My first deer was two years ago during shotgun season. i was posting in a gully with the river about 40yds on one side of me and a bluff 40yds on the other side, lets just say that after walking a half mile through 8in snow to get ware i needed to be and then sitting for an hour, by the time the deer finally came i was sitting there shivering like all get out!! Any way, the way i remember it is, i was watching an owl flying through the trees and i got this feeling that i should look down, and there was 3 deer a yearling doe an older doe and a 6 or 8ptr. I brought my gun up at the first deer i saw(the yearling, i wasn't thinking straight) and it stopped forty yards away! right behind a tree!!! So i leaned back(i was sitting on a stump) until i could see a little bit of brown, and then i shot...my thinking was, scare it out from behind the tree, and then shoot it, well it never came out, dropped it in its tracks with a shot through the neck(the small side).

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/album.php?albumid=444&pictureid=5825

forum

Shot 1st shotgun season back in '97. Was not on stand for 30min when he walked 15 yards from me. I have since learned that it does not always happen that easily!

picture.php

I shot my first deer when I was 14 during early muzzleloader. Our neighbor at the time was the one that got me interested in hunting/trapping. He took me to some public ground down by Fairfield and stuck me in a stand and went and hunted his own stand. After sitting there for a couple of hours I had a doe come in at about 10 yrds. I was shaking so bad I ended up hitting her to far back and after tracking her for a bit we decided to leave and come back in the morning. When we arrived the next morning and started walking in we ran into a lady that was looking for her two irish setter dogs. We told her we would keep our eyes out for them as we were going into track a deer that we had shot the night before. We went into the draw that we had last blood at the night before and started tracking. We ended up tracking her about another 200 yards where she had laid down and died. Only surprise was we ended finding the two irish setters as well. I think the coyotes got to her earlier in the night and pretty much ate her to the bones and the two setters were finishing her up. It ended up being a yearling doe and wasn't even as big as the setters :). No meat to take home, no pictures, but I will remember it forever and learned alot on that first deer hunt.

shot my first one way back in '98 when i was 9.. no pics but shot him stand hunting with my uncle in an overgrown pasture

My first deer was a nice Coue's whitetail down in southeast Arizona on November 12, 2005. After my dad died, I always tried to make sure I was hunting or fishing on Veteran's Day, which was particularly special to him (company ambushed, almost wiped out, lots of friends lost). 11 Nov 2005 was very windy and there were no deer moving in the canyon we were hunting. We woke up on the 12th and headed up canyon. Around 830, we spotted a nice buck working to a bedding spot over 400 yards away. We forumlated a plan, put a stalk on and I got to within 140 yards of this buck. While waiting for my buddy, who was supposed to be right behind me, I moved to hide behind a nearby tree. Unbeknownst to me, there was a 2nd buck bedded down that busted me and both bucks were in the next canyon in a matter of seconds. We sat in that general area glassing up a few does for a couple of hours and then decided to head back down canyon to glass an area where a side drainage came into the main canyon. We were standing there deciding which oak tree to sit under when a buck jumped out 30 yards from us from one of the trees. I intstinctively put my rifle up, found him my scope and fired at him (standing offhand) running almost directly away (slight quartering away). He snapped his head, spun around and started acting all "dizzy". For good measure I fired again and he dropped in his tracks. Turns out my first shot hit him right through the face and the 2nd shot was right in the neck. We field dressed him and I dragged him 1.5 miles back to camp. Coue's whitetail aren't that small when you drag them that far! He's a respectable 7 point (5pt, 2x3 if you go by "Western Standards" where they don't count brow tines; don't get me started). Money was tight and because I shot him through the face, I didn't do a full mount and didn't really think much of Euro mounts back then. I became addicted to Coue's hunting that day and, while I'm looking forward to my IA archery hunt next weekend, I'm looking forward to another Coue's hunt!

picture.php

I shot my first deer December 7, 2002 when I was 9 years old. It was the first day of shotgun season and it was my first time hunting ever. I had been going with my dad since I was five but this was my first time behind the trigger. Shortly after we got into our stands we had a busted up 6 point walk by close. I initially decided to pass on him and once he got out of range I changed my mind but it was too late. Dad told me that we had a good chance of seeing something bigger so we waited. Mid morning this guy comes behind us, I lay the Knight muzzleloader in the fork of the tree and let it bark. It was a fantastic hunt and I was truly blessed!

Drewsbuck.jpg

heres mine. scored 140 and 250lbs. i have a better pic and a story somewhere but i will post that when i have more time. this was 5 years ago when i was 11

n1591656689_239517_7920702.jpg

Top Bottom