Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Season Age Requirements?

halielynn1

I know that the youth season is over however I am curious about the age requirements. Alos, does the youth hunter have to complete a hunter saftey class prior to hunting?

Thanks for your help!

If they are not strong enough to hold the gun, can I help them with that also... LOL /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Holding the gun shouldn't be an issue, that is why they make shooting sticks. I also don't see a problem with helping them hold the gun a little bit as long as you aren't doing the aim or pulling the trigger. I have been helping out a 11 year old girl the past two years that is just a string bean and she absolutely is crazy about deer hunting. We helped her at first by putting our thumbs behind the stock so there wasn't as much recoil. She doesn't need that now but if she did I would be right there. The look on her face when she shoots a deer is priceless.

I took my boy out in the youth season and he's 9. I think you can get him a tag for any season as long as he's supervised by a licensed adult. I would check to make sure before going out though or someone on here probably knows for sure. Or go get the hunting rules and regs it says something about it in there.

COTTONFOOT- How does the thumb thing work or how did you do it.
My 9 year olds shooting a 20gauge and I got these low recoil slugs that I don't think do much. He can only shoot 2-3 times even with some extra padding before it's not fun which is ok hunting but makes sighting in a little hard.

Iowa DNR Regs

From the regs:

License not required for residents under 16 if accompanied by a licensed adult (18 years or older). See page 9.

Page 9:

1a) Residents under 16 years old who
hunt under the direct supervision of their properly
licensed parent, guardian, or other competent
adult with the consent of the parent or guardian do
not need a Hunting License or pay the Habitat or
Migratory Game Bird fee. One properly licensed
adult must accompany each unlicensed hunter
under 16 years old.
1b) Residents 12 to 16 years old may hunt
without adult supervision, but must have a Hunting
License and must have passed a hunter education
course (see p. 7 for hunter education training
requirements). Fees are not required.
Persons exempted under 1a) or 1b) must
have a Deer and Wild Turkey Hunting License
to hunt deer and wild turkey.

Both my 5 yr old son and 7 yr old daughter harvested does this year for their first deer. They would sit between my legs, I placed the barrel on a shooting stick and the stock in my shoulder. They reached underneath the stock, lined up the sites and pulled the trigger, both successfully. I had them both wear light hearing protection as well, but it's the most excited i've ever seen them. Startem Young!!

Top Bottom