Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Season

thephatchef

PMA Member
I am sitting in my blind right now with my 9 year old nephew, Caedmon. Holy crap, 9 year olds do not know how to sit still and quiet! He's currently entertaining himself with his gloves. Wouldn't trade this for the world though. Well, maybe for a nice sit in a Turkish bath in Istanbul, Turkey. But this is great. He's never been out hunting before. Glad to introduce him to it.

I know how you feel the kid I have been taking out is the same way.. Hopefully tonight is a good sit like last nights.

Yep...you really have to keep those kid's hunts short and sweet.

Yeah , my problem was that I took him out at 3 because I had some unusual afternoon movement with deer on the camera. Luckily I told him to bring a book with him. Well, he read that from beginning to end in about an hour. So he was getting a little bored. Apparently touch is important to him, so he got up about 15 minutes before sunset and decides to sit on my lap. I was just enjoying this awesome bonding experience with my nephew, when a doe walks out in front of us at about 20 yards. I didn't see it until he points and says, "look!" That got the does attention, and she stops and begins to stomp the ground. I don't have the gun anywhere close to being ready. So we waited until she was behind a tree to get the gun out quickly. By that point she was gone. After four hours of boredom and shifting around a lot, all he could ask me on the way out is, "Can we do that again sometime?" Yes, Caedmon , we will do it again. This weekend we'll go out again. I'll always have that memory of the noisy little kid tucked away in my mind. I'm sure he will too. Shooting a deer would have simply been icing on the cake.

Not for youth season yet, but I've been bringing my daughter out with me for a few sits in the blind every year. First time when she was 4 I had to haul in an arm load of barbie dolls for her to play with. Between that and singing songs we obviously didn't see anything. But I'll remember that forever! Now, two years later, she loves going with and wants to be quiet so she can see more deer. I don't have any doubts that she will want to hunt in the next few years, so I'm pretty excited too!

I took out my friend the other day youth hunting and he's 15. Talk about not being able to sit still when there's even deer in front of you!

Love it!!! Best of luck to all the young hunter's this season, kill or not you just got to love the hunt's you get to share with them-never a dull moment that is for sure!

Best part of the year for us!
My son has passed some solid deer already and I love it when he decides not to shoot as it just prolongs the season that much longer!
Had a 4 year old 8 10 yards from us stripping corn where we were in this picture, those experiences are priceless.

image-740834852.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom