Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zone 4 every 4-5 yrs or Zone 7/8 every 2-3 years?

Joe2Kool

I'm a non-res and have hunted zone 4 3X, the last being 2016, which took 4 years to draw. From the 2017 NR Draw Report, it looks like it could be 5 years before I draw again. I'm considering zone 7 or 8 as it looks like I can draw in 3 years.

What would you do? And why? Zone 4 every 5 years? Or zone 7/8 every 3 years? I haven't looked at public land availability in 7/8, but I'm mainly a DIY public land hunter.

I'm a non-res and have hunted zone 4 3X, the last being 2016, which took 4 years to draw. From the 2017 NR Draw Report, it looks like it could be 5 years before I draw again. I'm considering zone 7 or 8 as it looks like I can draw in 3 years.

What would you do? And why? Zone 4 every 5 years? Or zone 7/8 every 3 years? I haven't looked at public land availability in 7/8, but I'm mainly a DIY public land hunter.

I drew with 3 preference points, where are you seeing the 5 years now?
If it takes that long, I would look at 7 or 8 yes.

If I do the math correctly, 43% of those with 3 points drew zone 4. (343 drew out of 799 that applied with 3 pts). So not guaranteed until 5th year.

For zone 7, it was 37% with 1 point , (64/174) . So guaranteed on 3rd year.

Iowa Bow Draw - 2017.JPG

Boy at $800 I’m exploring other options. What is Kansas, South Dakota run for non res? To each their own but I’d get a buddy to share gasoline costs and hit multiple states for what you’d have in just Iowa. Not critical just thinking.

Oh I definitely have a buddy to split gas and motel costs! We're applying in Kansas this year as most of the whitetail archery tags can be drawn with 0-1 point, and we have zero.

Iowa has some nice whitetails, and I think zone 4/5 is known as the better part of the state. Just trying to figure out if zone 7/8 is a good alternative.

We don't have to kill the biggest deer in Iowa. That's not our goal or measure of success. I know the 180's are out there, and would be happy to bring one home, but we usually see a 150'class, and have brought home some 130's and been happy.

I have became friends with a moderator on the Beast. He drew in zone 7 in 2015 and drew again this year. He comes the third week of November and spends a few evenings at the shop if I’m not hunting
He’s a good hunter and has killed a couple dandies on his last two draws.
The deer in zone 7 can and do get just as big as deer in zone 4,5. Lots of small public pieces that are producing giants.
If you don’t want to wait zone 7 is a excellent choice.

I live and hunt in zone 8 and see enough decent ones that I have no desire to hunt other zones, even though my resident tag allows me statewide opportunities. I like to hunt so if it were me, more often fits better than less often.

I'm trying to figure out my odds for next fall. I currently have 2 points. When I apply this year, will the third point be added giving me 3?

Thanks, I was thinking that was the way it is. Oh well, think I might pick up a 45-70 lever gun and party hunt the shotgun season with family on the years I don't draw a bow tag?

Top Bottom