Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Edge Feathering and bedding areas

Areas with a lot of weed trees make for some great opportunities to create some great bedding cover but also an opportunity to release any oak species... in this case white oaks in the background

h1_zps3401434a.jpg

or perhaps a black walnut

h2_zps2e6d4685.jpg

Small clumps of white oaks are great because the released trees produce more mast which in turn allows for some oak regeneration but also naturally creates some openings amongst the tangled mess of downed trees

h3_zps9e087a49.jpg

Deer don't care to bed in a giant brushpile but rather around or behind the screening cover of the downed tops.

h4_zps5234d7bf.jpg

Young white oaks are quickly decimated by deer but when they germinate in the downed trees, they are somewhat protected, yet lacking overhead canopy competition, they can quickly rise above the felled trees.

h5_zps12e7f362.jpg

Hinged trees or sprouts from cut trees also provide plentiful browse that also helps protect new oak seedlings

h6_zps09c2a2e0.jpg

Hopefully you are blessed with a few seed trees of various oak species in your area

h7_zpsfb31f712.jpg

if not, consider planting native oak seedlings and protecting them with tree tubes scattered among the hinged trees

h8_zpsd2f1ffa5.jpg

If there are too many weed trees and to few oaks, you may need to simply girdle some trees to avoid having a solid mass of downed trees that whitetails will be unlikely to use. A combination of open areas and thick, screening from hinged trees will create a diverse and heavily used whitetail oasis.... :way:

Edge Feathering

There often various trains of thought when it comes to edge feathering, what does it entail, what does/should it look like and what is it's purpose? Some confusion arises from the fact that I share this habitat improvement along side "hinging" information, but typically edge feathering involves cutting trees down/off. We use both, often cutting the extreme outer row of trees off and then hinging those further in.

Edge feathering may be just the very outermost row of trees (weed trees) or it may involve some distance into the timber and when combined with true hinging for bedding, it becomes difficult to tell where one begins and another ends.

For whitetails we use edge feathering to promote early successional growth by severely reducing canopy, usually to a distance of 100' into the timber. We do a Crop Tree Release of sorts, releasing the best crop trees (oaks and walnuts) and falling everything else. Trees that fall into fields we push around parallel with the timber and many of these trees if hinged will break off depending on species. This is of no concern because large trees will take years to break down and decompose, thus providing a large "brushpile screen". Simply allowing sunlight inn will encourage a plethora of new growth that will add to the screen and the blocking effect of the trees.

The following are some before and after pics including some where because of a fence, trees could not be felled into the field, thus required no pushing and could be hinged. Keep in mind again, these are NOT for bedding but to form a dense, security screen between open fields and the interior where deer will bed.

Note that one can see into the timber which is wide open causing deer to bed far from the food source.

h1_zps7e477ba7.jpg

h3_zps40773c19.jpg

h4_zpsd026a27a.jpg

After falling trees (and yes, many of these are hinged since they don't require pushing) one can see only feet into the timber

h5_zps6c0af5cb.jpg

The downside to dropping trees that won't be pushed is the inability to really "block" deer runways but we still gain the screening effect

h6_zpsfc0aea28.jpg

In this case we thinned inferior quality white oaks and felled everything else to the extent possible but note that many trees (especially oaks) "hang up"...not a big deal as they will come down eventually but as with any work in the timber, it is dangerous work!

h7_zps10268543.jpg

The opposite side of the same field had no fence but also had few large trees along the edge so many trees tipped over were ironwood

h9_zpsf4904f2e.jpg

Whatever trees can be felled however can be pushed around forming a dense screen that encourages deer to bed closer yet allow the landowner to reach a stand without alarming deer.

h8_zps52c1ea6c.jpg

Be aware that "pushing" trees is also not without danger! Do not try to lift heavy trees as they are heavier then one might think and can easily cause a tractor to tip. I move them slowly and carefully by pushing near the center of the tree rather then against the branches which can damage the tractor. Adding Slime to front tires can help avoid flat tires but we also use caution to use the loader to scrape locust branches ahead of the tires.... ;)

So what does edge feathering look like a year or two later? Like any timber work the ensuing results will vary depending on tree species, soil types and rainfall but the following are some different examples.

These are trees that were hinged and remained that way after pushing

ef3_zps89d21993.jpg

Results however are also excellent where trees broke off and the resulting regrowth is phenomenal, creating a thick dense screen, even without leaves on!

ef4-1_zpsc660d66a.jpg

The downed trees encourage birds to root there whereupon they deposit well fertilized seeds that spring up, taking advantage of the sunlight and lack of competition along the edge.

ef5-1_zps1b5e31b4.jpg

These honey locust trees all broke off, but the trees of course remain, forming a dense block and screen and all kinds of weeds and forbs spring up, good for whitetails and small game as well. Note the shed...no doubt left behind after the buck bedded against the screen taking advantage of the morning sun...

ef8-1_zpsd52730c8.jpg

Downed trees make a gnarly mess, alive or dead and new growth only adds to the screen

ef1_zps6d500bed.jpg

Note the sprouts that have erupted from the stumps

ef6-1_zps5dc04a35.jpg

The combination makes it impossible to see into the timber and that means deer bed closer to the food source

ef2_zps6f4e4dbb.jpg

Just as with hinging, certain species are likely to stay connected, others likely to break off. Hickory, elm and hackberry have a better chance of surviving hinging and then pushing. Shingle oaks, black, red and pin oaks, maple, cottonwood as well as ash are likely to break off when felled so don't expect them to stay connected when pushing. They do however make great screens inn the form of a brush pile and will send up plenty of new stump sprouts to add to the screen and provide edge browse.

Took a walk in an area one year after TSI, I now have a timber full of new growth,even on the trunks of ringed trees.
2013-02-24_12-31-59_442.jpg

Just a note to add...I spent the last 3 days doing chainsaw work in our timber and to answer a question I have seen posted before..."How long will it take the deer to return after cutting, etc?"

I worked in one area Sunday afternoon, making a real nice mess of some scraggly shagbark hickories and ironwood and we jumped deer out of that area Monday morning. The snow we got that morning clearly showed their beds too, so less than 24 hours later they were right in the middle of it!

Also, we had driven by this area within 40 yards or so 2 or 3 times and they held tight. It wasn't until we stepped off the ATV that they jumped.

Hinging for bedding and weed tree removal

Some areas have a large number of weed trees yet enough oaks to provide for some regeneration if given the chance, hinging the weed trees allows us to reduce canopy and radically change the open timber to incredible whitetail habitat

h20-2_zpse872e631.jpg

Weed trees are felled around any available crop trees (oaks and walnuts)

h28_zpsf38910b0.jpg

Instantly creating thick bedding cover

h29_zps3592f8a5.jpg

It's not pretty...

h27-1_zps4e4238e4.jpg

but pretty is as pretty does...

h26-1_zps83436fec.jpg

and downed trees create some pretty fantastic whitetail habitat!

h25-1_zpsddc347eb.jpg

and by leaving a trail open

h30_zps40434713.jpg

It insures that rutting bucks will use the trail versus maneuvering thru the downed trees and tops

h19-2_zps208f6d42.jpg

The thick screening

h21-1_zps6da2a21a.jpg

allows one to approach quetly by using the trail yet remain unseen

h22-1_zps40bfdde6.jpg

h23-1_zps60353b44.jpg

Remember to use good safety equipment

h16-3_zps29c265ca.jpg

Larger trees fall hard

h17-2_zps1f6b804a.jpg

and make a big splash in the habitat bucket!

h18-2_zpsd62b769e.jpg

falling trees can do all kinds of squirrely things

h1_zps9dc821b8.jpg

h3_zps9195badc.jpg

but it quickly changes open timber that holds few deer...

h2_zps8acb3913.jpg

to a thick refuge in which whitetails feel secure

h6-6_zpsad653bae.jpg

h4-7_zps91ca98c9.jpg

h5-6_zps4353ea2a.jpg

It doesn't take much of a connecting hinge to keep the tree alive

h8-4_zps418e5ecc.jpg

The layer that sends the life blood of the tree is very thin, so attempting to make a bigger/larger hinge does not help the tree stay alive more so then a thinner hinge

Treelayers_zpsa776a01b.jpg

h7-4_zps9456101a.jpg

Brittle species such a ash and the red oak species are likely to break off regardless but stump shoots will spring to life

h10-6_zps90712c5f.jpg

It is not necessary then to worry that every tree remain hinged, the downed trees even if broke off will provide cover for years and in the meantime brush will quickly fill in

h9-4_zps1d2d1fef.jpg

h15-3_zpsbd87c47c.jpg

Trails or lanes...

h12-5_zps89990e72.jpg

can be kept open by girdling trees leaning the wrong way

h14-3_zps4fd17b57.jpg

Still plenty of time to get some lumber on the ground but...be safe out there! :way:

Helped a landowner improve a 3-4 acre block of timber I felt was WAY too open. We released dogwoods and persimmons in this bunch. Found a few greenbrier vines and some grape vines as well. Should instantly create browse and much needed cover for this farm.

This was basically all ash and elm. Not much to really keep, which made for a lot of cutting! Most of the bigger trees left standing were girdled.

Before:

F49CFAC4-D410-4A74-ABF0-87D2CB08F5B3-2323-0000022ACDE479E4_zps29bb5f17.jpg

After:

B8B3896E-F335-4CB2-8779-D86DFBDF3BD7-2323-0000022ADE8721B1_zps63f59c88-1.jpg

TONS of baby dogwoods like this in the timber. Can't wait to see how this area shapes up in a few years.

F152BA74-91E4-430C-B5AD-FF744369D9B7-2323-0000022CDED97794_zpsbd7d38f1.jpg

Edgefeathering for blocking

Thanks for sharing the great pics BD!

Tim shared a great photo sequence of using edge feathering to block runways and funnel deer past his stand...

Hello Paul,I hope this finds you and yours well, thought I would send you a few pics of hard work paying off.

First pics are of an area that the deer entered the food plot randomly. I did some work and shut down the runs,( I counted 5) in about a 100 yrd strip. the second and third pic show the after work.

The big cedar in the back ground of the third pic is a little nook, so I pinched them there figuring that they would use the big cedar as another bit of cover before fully entering the field.

I then took my weed eater with a blade and cut a trail about 40 yds deep and past a ladder stand that I had erected prior. The stand sets right on a creek bank about 50 yrds in and gives me easy,quiet entry and exit. I turned a backroad into an interstate!

thanks for all your wisdom.

God speed,Still praying,Tim

Before

After

Results

Those pics say it all and demonstrate how one can easily manipulate deer movement as well as screen bedding areas to encourage deer to bed closer to food source and enhance hunting opportunities. At a time in my life when I am challenged with serious health problems, I appreciate both prayers and pictures...thanks Tim! :way:

November 7th, 2013

A trail cam recorded activity as Jesse and crew did an edge feathering job in early April, which I share because often landowners express concern that chainsaws, men and equipment will "scare" deer away...

Note edge in background is done...

and deer quickly return

Chainsaws quickly become a dinner bell

as deer flock to the downed trees to feed

Keep in mind this cam is recording a very tiny fraction of 1000's of feet that were edge feathered

Shed buck

In the winter, tracks in the snow the next morning tell us the number of deer moving in to feed on hinged or fallen trees but the cam pics offer a chance to confirm what we already knew... ;)

Funnels

The following pics are of a funnel created by mass hinge cutting on either side of a natural runway, this runway connects two large bedding areas with year around food in between.

We keep a cam on it 24/7 365 days a year

You can see it's like shooting fish in a barrel

Bucks rarely use it except during fall/winter months and constant cam monitoring helps understand whitetail habits

One thing we learned years ago is that many bucks will travel this well hidden, secure funnel (80 yards from our house) in daylight hours, yet will not appear in open feeding areas til after dark.

Hunting the edge can be productive but more often then not, a lesson in futility

Areas of radical hinging can sometimes be used in conjunction with natural narrow travel corridors

If a thick enough mess is created, deer are less likely to bed there and one can reach a stand without jumping deer. Everyone's habitat is different and all ideas may not be applicable everywhere but where funnels can be created...some outstanding hunting opportunities can be created... :way:

Reading a previous post, were you saying that you are sick dbltree? I have said thanks many times, but just wanted to say it again, I have spent countless hours reading your posts and dreaming about improving the properties I have access to. Thank you for everything you have done to help so many of us over the years!

Reading a previous post, were you saying that you are sick dbltree? I have said thanks many times, but just wanted to say it again, I have spent countless hours reading your posts and dreaming about improving the properties I have access to. Thank you for everything you have done to help so many of us over the years!

I have some very serious health challenges, yes but my son and I make a great team and I'm using this time to serve Christ by helping others. Thanks for the encouragement friend...:way:

Assessing timber and funnels

Lots to be learned when we check landowners cams this time of year, much more then pics of bucks but rather seeing the bigger picture and looking at how we can use habitat to increase/enhance hunting opportunities.

Typically, everyone thinks because they have timber...it's good enough and nothing more is required. Leaves on trees are deceiving and give one the feeling that the cover is great...

As leaves start to fall however we begin to get a more realistic view...

When snow blankets the ground...it's a real eye opener as to how open the timber really is...

Each timber/forest is unique and different with no one size fit's all means of managing it, even mature junk trees can be marketed for pallet wood. Timber Stand Improvement practices can be employed to kill weed/cull trees and hinging weed trees to create instant ground cover may be a part of yours.

There is a high % of weed trees in this picture and if cost share is approved we'll begin a TSI plan to release crop trees and put some lumber on the ground. This will create instant bedding and browse, hundreds of whitetail bedrooms while also improving mast production.

What you can't see here is the mass hinging done to create a one runway funnel, resulting in many great pics of bucks walking 15 yards from the landowners stand...

These are pics from an inside corner, note we hinged trees a year ago to pinch deer close to the corner...

No one has hunted this spot yet but obviously the pics give one confidence for future hunts

We also compare daylight sightings of mature animals in the timber and in the food sources, and without fail more daylight movement occurs in the timber versus hunting the edge

Cams mounted on hinged funnels don't lie and inside corners such as this one allow the hunter to slip into the timber a few yards...undetected...

Obviously...this timber is ripe for some radical hinging, but look beyond all that and what don't you see?

These deer are only yards from the food plot and a year ago one could easily see into/out of the timber. Edge feathering corrected that and now the downed trees screen the edge between timber and field. Leaving one runway open creates yet another funnel as well...

Cams are important census tools, they are invaluable in helping us know the number and age of bucks on our property. Many locate cams solely in open areas and never get a true picture of mature animals, but cams placed randomly in the timber may not be effective either.

Bucks wander and cut cross lots in open timber resulting in missed or near missed bucks...

Tipping a few trees over can funnel every by the cam and this spot is sorely in need...

Pictures tell the story and reveal the truth then it's up to us to fix and fine tune and year to year, monitor herd, habitat and hunting strategies and make changes as necessary.

Time to sharpen the chainsaw and get protective gear in order.... :way:

Hey Paul, can you illustrate the above inside corner with a drawing? I'm thinking this is open timber behind you and hinging in front on the corner of a food plot to pinch the cruising bucks closer to you?

Referring to this situation where trees were hinged to pinch deer movement closer to the corner...

Using natural features such as the fence and field, one can easily tighten a funnel and force deer by cams and stands

Bucks love NWSG but during the rut they cruise timber doe bedding areas and in most cases a stand inside the timber will be more productive then hunting the field edge. Mature whitetail bucks however have different personalities and unique habits, so cams placed in and out of the timber can yield insight on where best to set up on your property... ;)

Looking for some input. I purchased my property 3 years ago, at the time the timber was being used as cattle pasture. My thoughts were as soon as the cattle are pulled the undergrowth will begin to regrow as it was heavily grazed. Instead all that has happened is the established cool season grasses(mainly fescue) have florished. There is plenty of open canopy to stimulate brush, but has only strengthed the fescue stand, additionally I cleared a hilltop of all most all trees 5 acres, again trying to stimulate undergrowth, but was only greeted with more fescue.

So is the fescue just so competitive it is choking out everything else? That is what I think is going on.

I have a 60 gallon boomless sprayer rigged up in a UTV with a GPS light bar, my plan to go through and spray a heavy dose of RU and try to kill all the cool seasons why everything else is dormant. Does this sound like a viable plan? Or will the underbrush eventually take over??

Yes...spray late fall and early spring to release native prairie grass and encourage brushy re-growth

I'm going to continue my tsi this winter and hinge cutting that I got your advice on last fall, my question now is I've got a lot of hedge apple trees that I'd like to get rid of, some are in places it'd take me a month of Sundays to get out of the woods though, others are on the edge of the woods and I'll probably let the neighbor take them for posts, but the ones on the interior I think I'd just like to kill and not cut down, what's the best method for killing them, or would you just cut them off, I read ringing them isn't that effective, appreciate the advice, thanks

Top Bottom